Should I submit my application as is, or try to get more experience first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi, I just got my MCAT scores back, and they're a little lower than I was hoping. I'm applying to 10 MD/PhD programs, most of them not too competitive, and I was just wondering how competitive my application is. Also, what could I improve on, and should I with-hold submitting it to try to improve parts of it? I got a 32P for the MCAT (10 VR, 11 PS, 11 BS), and I just graduated from a small liberal arts college in Wisconsin with a double major in Chemistry and Biology in 4 years, with a 3.87 overall GPA, a 3.96 for bio degree and 3.81 for chem degree.
As far as research experience, I was never able to do any real clinical or medically-oriented research, but I have other research. I participated in a Coral Reef research program 2 years (though the actual research transpired the second semester of each year, after we collected the data on the reef over winter break). Also, the 1st year was a student research project, and not really formal or anything. The 2nd year was real research though, that myself and teammates presented at various undergraduate research symposiums throughout the state of Wisconsin. Then, last semester, I did my senior research on creating a solvent mixture capable of extracting oil from various plants, and for use in the reaction to create biodiesel (so the solvent was capable of skipping the middle evaporation step). Both experiences were *fairly* good as far as how much control I had over the experiments. I enjoyed my research experiences, but I wasn't all that interested in the areas I researched. But, because of being at a small school, there was no availability for my *perfect* research opportunity.
One thing, though, is I have close to no clinical experience. I took a CNA course, but never took the test because I decided I didn't want to be a CNA. I do like medicine, and I'm fairly certain I would like practicing, but the CNA job in specific wasn't my forte. How much will it hurt my application by having virtually no clinical experience? Should I wait submitting it and try to shadow a local doctor for a while?
I know that I want to get into this program, because I've *always* been extremely interested in medicine and science. I loved my genetics, cell biology, a&p, and biochemistry classes, and I've read books and magazines on all sorts of different topics in these areas.
Anyway, any ideas as to how well off my application is, or any improvements I could make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as research experience, I was never able to do any real clinical or medically-oriented research, but I have other research.

That's the #1 thing you should do.

But, because of being at a small school, there was no availability for my *perfect* research opportunity.

Man, if you only knew the opportunities I had as an undergrad... You have to do what you have access to. But it's too late for that now. Just find something in biomedical research asap and get on it.

One thing, though, is I have close to no clinical experience.

Volunteer in your local ER for about 5 hours a week x 20 weeks. That's the standard pre-med formula.

Anyway, any ideas as to how well off my application is, or any improvements I could make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Spend a year or two in biomedical research. Do you think you can improve on the MCAT? It might help you, but isn't required.

Neuronix is probably correct for some schools, but "biomedical" research is not a requirement. If you show through any type of research that you are capable of independent thought and problem solving, you could apply this to whichever area you choose to pursue a PhD. I would not hold off applying for 1-2 years just to get research in a specific area (be sure to have outstanding LORs). Certain programs likely prefer biomedical research, but it definitely is not a requirement. You could look into summer research programs, or just get a job in a "real" biomedical lab for a summer, just be careful about how much independence you will have. Also, email MD/PhD program directors at schools you are interested to see what they think/if you are competitive with your experiences (just summarize the research/what you did more concisely).

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuronix is probably correct for some schools, but "biomedical" research is not a requirement. If you show through any type of research that you are capable of independent thought and problem solving, you could apply this to whichever area you choose to pursue a PhD.

Yeah I think you're right here. What spooked me a bit was the low MCAT score paired with the other type of research experience.

Hey op do you have any MSTPs near you? Perhaps it would benefit you to meet with someone there like an admissions director rather than taking our anonymous advice. When would you submit your primary? This year? You can always apply. It doesn't hurt you to reapply.

Yeah, I was planning on submitting my primary in the next month or so. The closest MSTP institution is University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, which is about a 3 hour drive away, so maybe I'll try giving them a call. There's really not much in my area as far as biomedical research, though I'm certainly looking. Right now, I'm talking with a professor at the university I just graduated from about a job in biofuels research for the next year, which will be highly independent. Do you think when they look at my application they will take into consideration that I would have to move 3+ hours away from my current location to get into any biomedical research type stuff? I was involved in about as much research as I could have been at the institution I was at.
I'm currently talking with a local hospital to get some volunteering in. Do you think I should wait a month to get some volunteering in before I submit my app, or do you think I could send supplementary information (such as in the secondary apps) on my clinical experience later, after I've submitted the primary?

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I wish I would have gone to a larger school with more opportunities. I wasn't very challenged in school, for the most part, and as I've said before: there weren't very many good research opportunities available. (I would have done more summer research elsewhere, but my family is pretty underpriveledged, so I ended up working during the summers to save up for the school year, and I couldn't get involved in the McNair scholars program because my mom had graduated from college, even though she didn't use her degree at all)

Do you think when they look at my application they will take into consideration that I would have to move 3+ hours away from my current location to get into any biomedical research type stuff?

Unfortunately, not really. Your current research does count though. I'm just not sure how much the adcoms are going to want to see some biomedical experience. It's probably going to vary based on who you talk to.

I'm currently talking with a local hospital to get some volunteering in. Do you think I should wait a month to get some volunteering in before I submit my app, or do you think I could send supplementary information (such as in the secondary apps) on my clinical experience later, after I've submitted the primary?

Unsure what to tell you. It's getting late for primary submission, but you could get your app dinged for not having it... You could go either way.

I would have done more summer research elsewhere, but my family is pretty underpriveledged, so I ended up working during the summers to save up for the school year

I was disadvantaged as well. But that's behind you now. I took a year off between college and MD/PhD to do research full-time. To afford this, I lived in a small room in a house for $200/mo with a bathroom shared among 5 people. You just gotta do what you gotta do. Sometimes that means moving away from home because it's in BFE (like mine was) to where the work is. Are you done college now? Find any research opportunity you can, whether that's in Minneapolis, Madison, Rochester, wherever!

Do you think I should wait a month to get some volunteering in before I submit my app, or do you think I could send supplementary information (such as in the secondary apps) on my clinical experience later, after I've submitted the primary?
I submitted my primary yesterday, and doing clinical while waiting to take the MCATs.

Fortunately, I had connections and could find a place, its not always so easy to find a doctor to shadow though.
If you're not sure you can get some experience before you submit, maybe you should hold off?

I have a dilemma of my own. I have my AMCAS complete and ready to submit, but I have a misdemeanor alcohol charge on my record from four years ago. I signed paperwork to get it expunged in March, but I never received confirmation from my lawyer that it was indeed expunged. I have been bugging her for weeks now, but I haven't received a response. As I see it, I have three options:

1) Turn in AMCAS and declare the misdemeanor.

2) Wait for confirmation that the misdemeanor is expunged, then submit AMCAS without mentioning the charge.

3) Submit AMCAS without waiting for confirmation under the assumption that the charge has been expunged.

Any advice?