This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theconfusedapplicant

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all. This may be a somewhat stupid question but I'm pretty unsure of what to do. I applied for a scribing position early this year (in January) and was expecting to have been finished with all interviews and begin scribing by mid-May, but this was delayed because of COVID-19. A lot of medical schools have secondary prompts that ask how COVID-19 has delayed extracurriculars/work or if there's anything I'd like to add or update the adcoms with. I'm currently in the middle of the interviewing process for a scribing position: I finished the phone interview and was invited for an in-person interview this Thursday (in 3 days).

My question is basically: should I submit my secondaries now and let them know that I'm in the middle of the interview process for a scribing position, or should I wait anywhere from 3-10 days (however long it takes them to make a decision to hire me or not) and assuming I got the job, tell them that I have already been hired as a scribe. I feel like telling them that I'm already hired/expecting to begin work is better than me just being applying, but is it worth sacrificing submission time for secondaries?

Thanks for any help.
It's difficult to see how 1-2 weeks at this point in the cycle will hurt you.

I say just apply now. Either way COVID will have screwed up your January-August plans. You can say that your state has loosened regulations and you're interviewing to work as a scribe in the coming weeks/months. It would not change how I would evaluate your application (having the job vs interviewing for the job).

I think you should just apply. Unless you know for sure that you'll have an answer in a week or so, just apply. Lots of employers will just ghost you or take weeks to get back to you after interviews.