Which is a better option?

• Total voters
Nov 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi, I’m new to the forum and am just looking for advice to make the right logical decision. I switched majors 3 times already. However, I’ve stuck with the nursing major and took all classes to get into a nursing program. I am finally in the nursing program about to start clinicals but am realizing that I’m unsure if I’ll be happy as a nurse. I was thinking of finishing and becoming a pediatric NP. But every time I settle with that I feel unsure if I’ll be content. I am leaning towards medicine and becoming a pediatrician instead but have not been able to make a decision because I do not think I have all the information I need. I did a degree audit and I would have to take 70 more credits if I were to switch to a Biochemistry major to complete the required classes. I’ve read and researched a lot already, so if anyone can provide any helpful advice let me know.
Thanks!

Last edited:

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
on the wall
Hi, I’m new to the forum and am just looking for advice to make the right logical decision. I switched majors 3 times already. However, I’ve stuck with the nursing major and took all classes from community college to get into a nursing program. I am finally in the nursing program about to start clinicals but am realizing that I’m unsure if I’ll be happy as a nurse. I was thinking of finishing and becoming a pediatric NP. But every time I settle with that I feel unsure if I’ll be content. I am leaning towards medicine and becoming a pediatrician instead but have not been able to make a decision because I do not think I have all the information I need. I did a degree audit and I would have to take 70 more credits if I were to switch to a Biochemistry major to complete the required classes. I’ve read and researched a lot already, so if anyone can provide any helpful advice let me know.
Thanks!
Why do you want to be a nurse? Why do you want to be a doctor?

Reactions: 2 users

Rachapkis

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
You are still young and the world is your oyster. Try to find what you love now. You can always change. If you do well, regardless of the subject matter, doors will always be open for you. I wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
Nov 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
Why do you want to be a nurse? Why do you want to be a doctor?
For nursing, I saw it as a well respected career of helping others but I’ll be honest I don’t know. As for doctor, that’s a more personal reason. But I think the more important thing is picking one that I’ll be happy with in the end. However, I do understand I’ll have to shadow but it’s hard to do with everything going on right now.

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
on the wall
For nursing, I saw it as a well respected career of helping others but I’ll be honest I don’t know. As for doctor, that’s a more personal reason. But I think the more important thing is picking one that I’ll be happy with in the end. However, I do understand I’ll have to shadow but it’s hard to do with everything going on right now.
Well, just be aware that you'll have to be able to discuss whatever this reason is in interviews and/or in secondaries/your essay
Best of luck to you

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
Go with what you think you'll love in 10 years. Some advise to go with the harder of the two options (in this case MD) and I'm usually a subscriber of this theory. It's easier to drop down and get your RN than jump up and get an MD. So, if it's equivocal,I would try a semester as a pre med. That way you'll never have to say "what if?"

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

May 16, 2020
Somewhere in New England
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
Go the NP route if you would be happy working a regular schedule and doing routine things (well baby checks, immunizations). Your scope of practice will be more limited as an NP, and you will never be the head of the team, but your hours and your risk will be much more limited. Go the MD route if you know that you want to work independently or head a team, if you want a greater depth of understanding of the conditions you treat, and you are willing to accept the added responsibility and the risk that goes along with that. If you are the kind of person who always asks "why?" and needs to really understand things, you should choose the MD route, because NP practice is more algorithm-based.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
Yeah I think the helpful thing would be to shadow but it’s difficult to during this time with covid and everything especially with pediatrics.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads