Should I switch to Business?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorofBogusness

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright before you guys start saying that there are other forums where my question is answered, I would like to point out that my situation is different. I currently am a student majoring in Biology, but I don't feel like that's something practical in case I don't get into dental school. What I want to major in is Business. But the thing is if I take business, I would also have to take the pre-requisites to get into dental school as well. Do you think it would take me longer to get my bachelor's degree if I took this route. And would my Business degree be looked favorable compared to your average pre-dental? Also, would I only have to take Physics, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, or would I have to take ALL the pre-requisites that Dental School would need for an application to be considered.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright before you guys start saying that there are other forums where my question is answered, I would like to point out that my situation is different. I currently am a student majoring in Biology, but I don't feel like that's something practical in case I don't get into dental school. What I want to major in is Business. But the thing is if I take business, I would also have to take the pre-requisites to get into dental school as well. Do you think it would take me longer to get my bachelor's degree if I took this route. And would my Business degree be looked favorable compared to your average pre-dental? Also, would I only have to take Physics, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, or would I have to take ALL the pre-requisites that Dental School would need for an application to be considered.

There's a couple of business majors in my class. You will still need to take ALL the pre reqs to get into dental school however.

A biology degree is pretty worthless by itself. You will have to get into some kind of graduate program if you don't get into dental school.

I applied for a MBA program while applying to dental school in case I didn't get in. They also supplemented my DAT score for whatever test they required for matriculation which was cool.

Reactions: 1 user
The business degree might make you different as an applicant, but I would argue that it would put you at a disadvantage. Every school is different in what they require. Some just want the basics you listed, others want Microbiology, anatomy, physiology and even psychology. For schools that require all those, you would definitely need more than 4 years to complete a degree if you went the business route. I think admissions value a student who took immunology, histology and all the classes I listed over a business degree and the bare minnimum. This is especially true if you did well in advanced science classes. I understand you wanting to get a degree that is practical, since a biology degree really isn't, but if you really want to be a dentist I think you need to seriously consider what makes you the best applicant. A biology degree where you take the advanced classes that schools recommend/require or a business degree that is a good "fall back". I would also say that if you chose to get a business degree and you did get into dental school you might find the classes to be very challenging while your classmates who majored in biology find them easier. So again, you would be at a disadvantage. However, a business degree would make things a little easier when you're opening a practice.

It's a lot to consider. Both degrees have their advantages and disadvantages but I would say that if you want to be a dentist, put yourself in the best situation to get into d-school and take the advanced sciences courses and earn a degree in biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to major in just "business?" That's as broad and not practical like a biology degree. If it was an applied business degree (accounting, information systems, finance) then I might see some merit to it but that will be a long hard college schedule.

I majored in Economics and had no trouble finishing both my degree and my prereqs. But then again, I did also have a lot of AP credits to help me graduate earlier (could have graduated a year early if I didn't do dental)

If I could go back I would do a business degree. Same with every single dentist I've talked to also. My school gives enough elective hours that you could still graduate in 4 years ( may have to take physics in the summer though). I personally would do accounting or finance to help with owning a private practice. Also, for those who say the admissions committee would look down on a business degree, I think that is a dumb statement. If you show up to an interview with a 3.8+ GPA and explain to them that you chose your degree because it would help you in the long term as a dentist, I think they would be impressed more than anything.

There's a couple of business majors in my class. You will still need to take ALL the pre reqs to get into dental school however.

A biology degree is pretty worthless by itself. You will have to get into some kind of graduate program if you don't get into dental school.

I applied for a MBA program while applying to dental school in case I didn't get in. They also supplemented my DAT score for whatever test they required for matriculation which was cool.

Which schools supplemented your DAT score? I would think the GMAT is really different from the DAT.

Hey, I did a Business and was able to complete all of the basic pre reqs and I think it is very doable. I would sit down and look at all the courses you need to take to complete a Business major along with the pre reqs and see if you can fit it all into your remaining time as an undergrad. I find the degree very useful. good luck.

Last edited: