Should I take 2 pre-reqs this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioPsychotic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

First off, if this question has been answered before I apologize. I haven't been able to find too much tailored to my specific situation so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Background: I'm a pre-med who is deep in the process of reinvention. Halfway through junior year, I sat at cGPA 3.0 and sGPA 2.5. Spring 2020 is looking very good -- I finally got a handle of Orgo II and feel very confident in my grades, which are being released this week. My freshman and sophomore years (sadly, I also received a C in Orgo I last semester so I have really not learned my lesson until recently) were marred with confusion over what I was doing and a lack of discipline. I wish I could go back and undo all that, but I can't.

Over the summer, I plan to take 2 classes and I have 2 options. I'd like your help in deciding which scenario is the better option, given the circumstances surrounding my reinvention.

In the second session, I am doing a retake of Gen Chem II. I received a D and am retaking the course. I am confident that I can do well and get an A, but I recognize that it will require a significant investment.

For the second course, I can either take a creative writing course in the first session that is non-science/non-major/GER OR I can take biochemistry concurrently in the second session. The first session of biochem is full, but I secured my spot for the second session until I decide. If I did this, I would drop the W course and spend the entirety of May/June preparing for both courses, beginning immediately. My Orgo II course incorporated some Biochem so I am already familiar with amino acid structures, Fischer projections, etc.

My original plan was to take Biochem alongside Physics 1 in the fall, but I thought I should move it to the summer, considering I need to rack up good grades in upper-level sciences and the material is fresh in my mind from Orgo II.

So, is it advisable to take biochem alongside Gen Chem II (in which an A is expected of me) in the second session of summer courses or pump the brakes and just take it with physics 1 in the fall?

Thank you so much for reading! I would appreciate any advice you guys have for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you working or have other time commitments alongside these courses? Gen Chem 2 shouldn’t be as hard the second time around, especially if you’ve done well in orgo. I thought biochem was easier than orgo, personally.

Take Chem II and a non-science class in the summer.

Taking Chem II and Biochem in the summer is a bad idea especially since you just started an upward trend this Spring semester. Save Biochem for the Fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you working or have other time commitments alongside these courses? Gen Chem 2 shouldn’t be as hard the second time around, especially if you’ve done well in orgo. I thought biochem was easier than orgo, personally.
I had planned on volunteering as a camp counselor this summer, but I don't know if that will be possible. Also planned on continuing my research, but undergrads have been banned from university labs so that may also not be possible. Might just dive into some summer reading.

Take Chem II and a non-science class in the summer.

Taking Chem II and Biochem in the summer is a bad idea especially since you just started an upward trend this Spring semester. Save Biochem for the Fall.
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. I don't want to risk my chem grade, so I'm going to save biochem for the fall.

Thank you both so much for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar position to you in undergrad and ended up taking both Orgo 1 and 2 in one summer with good grades in both. I say this to say that’s it’s entirely possible to do so (if you want to) and do pretty well! I will say that all I did that summer was study and self care though.

Also just wanted to offer some encouragement coming from someone who was in a similar if not even worse position as a junior and someone who had to do an SMP to make up for it. You’re definitely on the right path so don’t let your past stand in your way. Will it always be a factor? Probably, but as long as you continue to show growth and an upward trend you WILL reach your goals! I wish you all the best in whatever you choose to do!

I was in a similar position to you in undergrad and ended up taking both Orgo 1 and 2 in one summer with good grades in both. I say this to say that’s it’s entirely possible to do so (if you want to) and do pretty well! I will say that all I did that summer was study and self care though.

Also just wanted to offer some encouragement coming from someone who was in a similar if not even worse position as a junior and someone who had to do an SMP to make up for it. You’re definitely on the right path so don’t let your past stand in your way. Will it always be a factor? Probably, but as long as you continue to show growth and an upward trend you WILL reach your goals! I wish you all the best in whatever you choose to do!
Thank you for those words of encouragement. Sometimes I get so caught up in the competitiveness of pre-med -- fixating on all the numbers and statistics -- and it can get overwhelming. But then I read posts like these and remember why I chose this path, and why I wouldn't choose anything else. Good luck to you also in whatever you may pursue; kindness and compassion will take you far.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user