Should I take 3 W's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matibay

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm seeking advice on whether to take 3 W's and appeal 3 courses from last semester. Before I explain the situation, I want to say that I really appreciate anyone's input.

I've been lurking around SDN since my first-year of college, but I'm now a junior. Last fall semester was rough for me, and I was going through serious mental health issues (including suicidal ideation and stress-induced insomnia...). Thankfully, things are a lot better now, and I've been actively working on spending more time with family and friends as well as taking a lighter academic load and dropping my second major.

I've read around SDN and saw that 1-2 W's shouldn't be a problem. But in my situation, I currently have 2 W's. One is a 1 hr anatomy lab, which I retook and got an A. The other is another 1 hr seminar-based course from this semester (I wanted to drop from 13 hrs to 12). So if I appeal 3 courses from the fall and am successful, I'll have 5 total. The 3 courses are Physics II, Physical Chemistry, and Genetics. I received a B- in 2 and B in 1 (Crazy pre-med alert! Please hear me out first.). In all 3 courses, I was on the right track for the first 2/3rds of the semester. I had also done well in Physics I and my previous chemistry courses. But near the final, I began being insomniac and would only sleep 30 minutes-1 hr despite meditating and laying in bed for hours. I was sleep deprived to the point that my fingers, toes, and eyes were twitching. For my genetics final, I was struggling to bubble in the letters. And in physics, my final dropped my grade from an A to a B. By just looking at my transcript, you can tell that something was wrong last semester (I've mainly received A and A-s throughout college). Before last semester, I had a 3.88 cGPA and 3.81 sGPA. After last semester, it dropped to 3.71 cGPA and 3.53 sGPA.

While my GPA did drop a bit, I had some cushion, and the grades I received were fine. But given that I have the opportunity to appeal and retake, should I? I'd like to try my chances for top 20, and I'm coming from a well-known public university. Also, retaking the classes will not put me off track. Since I'm dropping my second major and am not interested in graduating early, I have all of senior year. I am almost done with my current major and plan to take 2 gap years.

Also, I understand that my "complaint" may seem crazy and over-the-top and that's why I'm seeking advice. I genuinely don't know to approach it, and everyone I've spoken to has given me an "if you want to" response.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused...you're allowed to just drop classes retroactively and replace your grade with a W? Regardless, I would vote no. A couple of Bs aren't going to turn any heads, but 5 Ws might. Just finish strong and try to keep your GPA as high as possible (preferably over 3.7) and remember that the MCAT is king. It's very hard to speculate on your chances for the super competitive schools without an MCAT score and without any other information about your application, but the the people who tend to get into those are generally close to perfect academically and have some other "it" factor.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not take the W's and it would seem, as you are cherry picking which classes to drop or maybe I misunderstood?? I still would not drop a semester in which you had B's.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 Ws arent bad

I'm a little confused...you're allowed to just drop classes retroactively and replace your grade with a W? Regardless, I would vote no. A couple of Bs aren't going to turn any heads, but 5 Ws might. Just finish strong and try to keep your GPA as high as possible (preferably over 3.7) and remember that the MCAT is king. It's very hard to speculate on your chances for the super competitive schools without an MCAT score and without any other information about your application, but the the people who tend to get into those are generally close to perfect academically and have some other "it" factor.

Yep, I can retroactively drop through an appeal process. Thanks for the input!

I would not take the W's and it would seem, as you are cherry picking which classes to drop or maybe I misunderstood?? I still would not drop a semester in which you had B's.

I'm essentially dropping the whole semester. I only took 4 classes. But, thanks!

I'm essentially dropping the whole semester. I only took 4 classes.
Poor decision. So you had a bad semester and got "only" B's ... it provides an interesting narrative for interviews if that is merely a blip on your academic portfolio whereas a semester of W's, to me, speaks differently (inability to persevere)

You persevered. That's a positive, W's say that you can't.

OP, that semester definitely hit you hard, as your GPAs dipped quite a bit. Even so, you still have a fairly high GPA, with all of your senior year to bring it up, even if it's only a little. I'd argue that having 5 W's would hurt more than 3 B's. If you kill the MCAT, which it sounds like you have what it takes to do so, I think you can still be in contention for top schools, provided that you talk about what happened that semester somewhere in your narrative.

Hi, everyone! I'm seeking advice on whether to take 3 W's and appeal 3 courses from last semester. Before I explain the situation, I want to say that I really appreciate anyone's input.

I've been lurking around SDN since my first-year of college, but I'm now a junior. Last fall semester was rough for me, and I was going through serious mental health issues (including suicidal ideation and stress-induced insomnia...). Thankfully, things are a lot better now, and I've been actively working on spending more time with family and friends as well as taking a lighter academic load and dropping my second major.

I've read around SDN and saw that 1-2 W's shouldn't be a problem. But in my situation, I currently have 2 W's. One is a 1 hr anatomy lab, which I retook and got an A. The other is another 1 hr seminar-based course from this semester (I wanted to drop from 13 hrs to 12). So if I appeal 3 courses from the fall and am successful, I'll have 5 total. The 3 courses are Physics II, Physical Chemistry, and Genetics. I received a B- in 2 and B in 1 (Crazy pre-med alert! Please hear me out first.). In all 3 courses, I was on the right track for the first 2/3rds of the semester. I had also done well in Physics I and my previous chemistry courses. But near the final, I began being insomniac and would only sleep 30 minutes-1 hr despite meditating and laying in bed for hours. I was sleep deprived to the point that my fingers, toes, and eyes were twitching. For my genetics final, I was struggling to bubble in the letters. And in physics, my final dropped my grade from an A to a B. By just looking at my transcript, you can tell that something was wrong last semester (I've mainly received A and A-s throughout college). Before last semester, I had a 3.88 cGPA and 3.81 sGPA. After last semester, it dropped to 3.71 cGPA and 3.53 sGPA.

While my GPA did drop a bit, I had some cushion, and the grades I received were fine. But given that I have the opportunity to appeal and retake, should I? I'd like to try my chances for top 20, and I'm coming from a well-known public university. Also, retaking the classes will not put me off track. Since I'm dropping my second major and am not interested in graduating early, I have all of senior year. I am almost done with my current major and plan to take 2 gap years.

Also, I understand that my "complaint" may seem crazy and over-the-top and that's why I'm seeking advice. I genuinely don't know to approach it, and everyone I've spoken to has given me an "if you want to" response.

Thank you so much!
Take the Ws and then reassess this process. You need to get yoru health issues fixed, which so far, they haven't been. Med school will be far worse.