Should I take a career as a Certified Surgical Technologist and do Pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am currently undecided about what I should do this summer. Should I take a combo course to become a Certified EKG Technician and Phlebotomy Technician or become a Certified Surgical Technologst. I really like them both equally but can't decide which one to choose. Which one is more clinically involved do you think and which one will look better in the med school application?

Members don't see this ad.

EKG Techs are responsible for placing monitors on patients, charting rhythms, and identifying lethal rhythms (and calling appropriate assistance). Not an overwhelming amount of patient contact there, but certainly an important role. Phlebotomy would be nice because it's very hands-on and you're actually performing skills (draws) on real patients. Pretty good clinical exposure there.

However, if you're hung up on being a surgeon, then maybe OR experience would be good. However, the CST isn't in there doing the surgery. You're holding retractors, dealing with instruments, and counting gauze rags so none are left in the patient. Very hands-on, very interesting.

Think about which you want more, and go for it. Either will help you.
-z

The Surgical Technologist cert. is more intensive than than the other two. You'll probably spend the entire summer in class and clinicals most of the day. The Phlebotomy or EKG will be a once a week thing plus some clinicals. If you're planning on doing something else this summer you might not have a lot of time. The other thing I would look into, is how much much flexibility you have in scheduling you have in local hospitals with each job, because you can't work full-time during the year, and doing 12hr part-time shifts might not always fit into your schedule.

Right now I am currently undecided about what I should do this summer. Should I take a combo course to become a Certified EKG Technician and Phlebotomy Technician or become a Certified Surgical Technologst. I really like them both equally but can't decide which one to choose. Which one is more clinically involved do you think and which one will look better in the med school application?

I think that the certified EKG and Phleb is better because you have to put the leads and take the draws from a awake patient. Fact is, as a surgical technologist, the patient's sleeping --> little direct patient contact. Timings are also more flexible with the EKG/Phleb. Thing is, I didn't do either and did research during the summer instead. That sort of thing stays with you as you move on, getting a certification now does not since you won't be doing that as a med student.