Should I take a chem tutorial class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be taking General Chemistry II, I wanted to know if I could also take a CHem tutorial with it, its basically a 1 hour credit class and you get a grade in it bases on attendance. Its basically a help session every week for one hour and I will get an A in it, how do you think adcoms will look at it, on my transcript its called Chem 1203-will they see it as an extra chem class cause they just flip through our transcripts? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

dapmp91 said:
Hi guys, I will be taking General Chemistry II, I wanted to know if I could also take a CHem tutorial with it, its basically a 1 hour credit class and you get a grade in it bases on attendance. Its basically a help session every week for one hour and I will get an A in it, how do you think adcoms will look at it, on my transcript its called Chem 1203-will they see it as an extra chem class cause they just flip through our transcripts? :oops:

yes you could. I actually think its a good idea. :)

On the AMCAS application, they get the title of the class from you, too. Seeing a 1 credit Chemistry Tutorial class might not help your cause...

Ex:
"If this person needed tutoring in general chemistry..."

I'd stay away from it. There are other easy classes that will sound better on your app; we had one called Intro to Research Methods, which was basically how to use Excel, Mathcad, and such. 3 credits of easy A. Talk to some upper level students to get an idea of what the cake classes seem to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
dapmp91 said:
The question really shouldn't be if ADCOMs will like it, but if it will be helpful to you. We didn't have a choice, our "help sessions" were mandatory for general chemistry and attendace was required for my undergrad. If you don't think you need the class or it would be wasting your time then don't take it because you will obviously have to show up. But if you think that it would help you get an "A" in Gen Chem then I think it's a worthwhile cause.

We had about 1-1.5 hours of chemistry help time before lab every week in my gen chem class. We would do extra homework problems and have to take quizzes. I think it was pretty helpful so if your school doesn't already do this, I would go ahead and take the class. It should ensure you some extra quality studying time every week.

I really think adcoms aren't likely to look at your transcript and say "OH NO a CHEMISTRY TUTOR COURSE?!?! he is a loser for sure!!" I doubt they will notice and if they do, they will probably be indifferent too it. Most schools either integrate this into the regular course or just make you take it along with the lab/class anyway.