Should I take a class at community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flash7

Let The 4.0 Race Begin...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I should take a 3 credit Sociology class over the summer at the local CC. I'm a dual ChemE & MatSciE major and will have finished all my medical school pre-reqs by the end of this sophomore year (I only have Orgo II & Biochem I left). However, I plan on taking a gap year for an MS in ChemE. This means that I will be applying for medical school after 2015. I've been reading that after 2015 medical schools will probably changing pre-reqs and will most likely include sociology and psychology as pre-reqs. Will I be looked down upon for having taken Sociology over the summer? I just want to save up some money. :rolleyes: Or do you think they will just forgo it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
By all means, take it at a CC especially if it saves you time and money.

I don't think medical schools would care about it even if it was made a "pre-req" as long as it isn't a hard science/math class.I would contact the medical schools that you plan on applying to just to be sure if you wanted to. I know my state's med school (University of Illinois and its million campuses) doesn't care if you take pre-reqs at a different institution/CC.