Should I take a class during summer term? If so, which of these?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for reading.

I had a very rough first semester of college and am now in my second and it's going much better because it's a course load that I can handle. I don't want to be occupied with more 3+ very difficult science classes (currently bio major) for the next fall...etc and I'm also looking to double minor. I'd like to do at least 1 difficult class during the summer, but am not sure which. These are my choices so far , I'd only like to take one class to focus on it completely:

Gen Chem 2
Bio 1
Physics
Psychology

which is recommended?

Thank you very much!

Oh, also, how unfavorable would it be to take any of these at a different university than my own? Would it be frowned upon by dental schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I took GC 2 in summer (8 week session) and got an A because my prof gave lots of EC and dropped couple low quizzes. If your prof would do the same thing then I say go for it.
Physics isn't a core science class for DAT, so you don't need to invest lots of time like Chem or Bio
Bio 1: i think you shouln't. Save it for regular semesters when you have more time to absorb all important knowledge.
Psy: why not? It's a quite easy ge class (maybe?)
Last question: idk :(

I took gen chem and Physics II over summer and got a B+ and C respectively. I always tried to take a two science classes with two or three generals which kept my course load in the manageable range. If I were you I'd take Bio 1 and Psy at the same time--you can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took gen chem and Physics II over summer and got a B+ and C respectively. I always tried to take a two science classes with two or three generals which kept my course load in the manageable range. If I were you I'd take Bio 1 and Psy at the same time--you can do it!
This. I thought physics was the most difficult of Bio, Gchem, Ochem, and physics. I think bio is the easiest (I'm a bio major).

Thank you so much everybody! The summer i'd be taking would be 12 weeks if that helps any. I'd take Bio and psy together but I had so much trouble in anatomy memorizing and thinking critically that i'm not sure. Is the critical thinking on par with applied anatomy? Especially together it doesn't sound manageable.

This. I thought physics was the most difficult of Bio, Gchem, Ochem, and physics. I think bio is the easiest (I'm a bio major).
by pys, I was referring to psychology not physics...

If it is really 12 weeks like you mention, it would be possible to take more than one. Maybe take psychology and chem? Bio can get very dense and a full semester would be better, like someone said, to absorb it all. Having taken science courses like that over the summer, I know that they can be much more difficult to handle in the summer over the regular semester due to the same volume of material in half the time (my courses were over six weeks instead of the regular 15-16). BUT since you mention 12 weeks it may be more manageable. That's a long summer session...

I would not recommend taking more than 1 science class during the summer, at most one science lecture component with a lab component.

I would also suggest you take physics II (electricity and magnetism) over the summer, preferably at a 4-year institution for transfer credit. It's certainly my personal bias, but I disliked physics II more than biochemistry. As a side note, physics I was a breeze, so not all physics is bad.