Medical Student
200+ mentoring underprivileged youth.
SMDEP
2 semesters as an ochem tutor.
80 hour shadowing.
1 year of research
1 summer research program
Volunteered at hospital all Jr year.

Should I take a gap year because I don't have extracurricular activities.

but you just listed your extracurricular activities. What do you mean?

Reactions: It'sBeenSaidAndDone

wanderingorion

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Gap year starting now or next year?

wanderingorion

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student

wanderingorion

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Because I dont even very much clinical experience and can't fill all 15 spots on the application.
1st: You don't have to fill all the spaces if you have enough to say about the ones you have.
2nd: You can gear that year of hospital volunteering as both clinical and volunteering. Along with your shadowing, you should be fine IMO.

TheStallion16

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
If you're contemplating taking a gap year because you're afraid you won't get in, then you definitely should not. Your stats are good, you have some solid shadowing, research, and volunteering. While my GPA is higher, my MCAT is significantly lower and I'm still applying. You can't get in if you don't try.

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Your stats and ECs are good - so don't wait for that reason.

But if you haven't written your PS, lined up your LORs and filled out your primary application, you're LATE, so should take a gap year for that reason.

Hopeful_vet

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Your stats and ECs are good - so don't wait for that reason.

But if you haven't written your PS, lined up your LORs and filled out your primary application, you're LATE, so should take a gap year for that reason.
^^This.

If you're applying this year you should be submitting ASAP. You won't be verified until Labor Day the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

SPD5

2+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2016
200+ mentoring underprivileged youth.
SMDEP
2 semesters as an ochem tutor.
80 hour shadowing.
1 year of research
1 summer research program
Volunteered at hospital all Jr year.

Should I take a gap year because I don't have extracurricular activities.
Speaking from personal experience, I would definitely take a gap year. My stats were pretty similar (3.6 GPA, 516MCAT) worked as a tutor and research assistant on two different studies, and had around 700 hours of volunteering and shadowing. Applied around this time after I got my MCAT scores back to 16 schools, only got two interviews, got waitlisted at both schools, finally got an acceptance. I know applying late hurt me, and I've found that most schools want applicants who are older and have life experience that they can relate back to medicine. You're going to be a great doctor someday, but take a gap year, let yourself live a little bit outside of the pressure cooker that is medicine, bulk up your extracurriculars, and just take a year to enjoy yourself.

Reactions: anyschool