Medical Should I take a gap year from undergrad to pursue volunteering and clinical experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I, an incoming sophomore, was planning on taking a gap year because of this COVID and possibly remote learning again next semester. I plan to work as a scribe during my year off alongside some volunteer and shadowing, to pay tuition and gain exposure. During my first year, I mostly did research and barely any volunteering. In the summer of my sophomore year, I would be doing hospice care so I don't have time to gain other clinical experiences. But recently my school intends to have in-person next semester. If I were to take this gap year, how would it look on my application? What are your opinions and suggestions?
Honestly, with the pandemic and uncertainty about safety on campus with an impending second wave that may coincide with the fall flu season, no one will be able to give you a clue on how taking a gap year now will look to any admissions committee. There is certainly a lot of concern that a lot of students will opt to gap-out this year across higher education (I think the concern is a little overblown but not terrible).

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.