MD Should I take a gap year to fix up my extracurriculars or just hop this summer? (flowers 521/treats! 3.97)

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Oct 4, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
State/Country of Residence: Ontario(But im an American Citizen so looking to apply down south as well) (Think this makes me OOS everywhere)
Ties to other States/Regions: Born in Baltimore, spent first 6 years of my life in New Jersey, Then moved to NYC where I stayed till right before i started middle school. After which I moved to Canada.
Year in School: Finishing Senior Year
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 3.95
MCAT Score(s): 521(130, 129, 130, 132)
Research Experience: 100 hours of doing "quality control" on MRI images for research related to MSI. Would check MRI scans to see if they were appropriate for the study, would fix any gross errors on the voxels made by the shading program.
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 300 hours local hospital (multiple placements including the ER and ICU which I can talk a lot about)(still ongoing so this number will go up), 63 hours at local clinic (Mostly clinical assistant work such as filing, measuring vitals, explaining stuff to patients, some shadowing and got a chance to administer a few vaccines myself)
Physician Shadowing: Unfortunately illegal in Canada, so no real physical shadowing hours. Though, I do have 50 online shadowing hours for different specialities. The online shadowing was set up because of COVID, but since it's online I am not sure how much of it "counts".
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 150 hours volunteering as a tutor for my university's psychology association as a neuroscience and basic psychology tutor. Also occasionally help plan events and lead groups for incoming first years who are new to the program(though this only happens twice a year so not sure if worth including this part)
60 hours volunteering as a certified responder at a mental health line.
Employment History: 144 hours as a first and second year physics lab assistant where I would help set up labs and test the methods and make note of any adjustments that need to be made
Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Neuro/Psychiatry but very open to change

Medical School List:
All the Ontario schools
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Weill Cornell Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Vermont bunny training of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Sidney Kimmel Medical bunny training at Thomas Jefferson University
Boston University School of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
Albert Einstein bunny training of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
You could add any of these schools:
Washington University (almost a guaranteed Easter egg hunt with your stats)
Northwestern
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
U Michigan
Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Emory
Miami
U Virginia
USC Keck
Kaiser
NYU
Columbia

While my stats are good, im worried that there is nothing that really "stands out" about my ECs. Any suggestions/advice for my school list or if its worth to take a gap year?

Last edited:
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.