Should I take a Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dunks94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently attending a top 20 university with around a 3.6 overall and a 3.5 BCPM. I got a 3.3 both semesters freshman year. Since then, I've gotten a 3.9, 3.75. I'm in my junior year and I'll probably receive around a 3.7 in both semesters. I have shadowing (~100 hrs by application), volunteering (centered around tutoring, also have hospital volunteering), research (starting from hs, 1000 hrs, publication pending). Not sure when to take MCATs

My question is whether I should take a gap year to improve my application. I mainly just want to get into any allopathic medical school, but I'm scared my semi-low gpa will hurt me. Additionally, I haven't started studying for the mcat yet, which I would take next may if I don't take a gap year. That also worries me because I would need to study during the school year when I'm worried with my other classes.

I just think that a gap year would allow me to better remedy my gpa (albeit by only a little bit), study intensely for the mcat, and give me the opportunity for more hospital volunteering (only ~90 hrs by end of junior year), volunteering in general, and shadowing. It would also allow me to study abroad (which I really want to do)

Basically I'm asking, do my stats warrant a gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing can be said without an MCAT score. If you feel like a gap year would help, take one.

Your GPA and ECs are fine. If you score well on the MCAT and apply broadly I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get in.

(That said, a gap year is rarely a bad idea.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like an easy decision to me. Get to raise GPA, study abroad, get a better MCAT score, and presumably get more research/volunteering/clinical hours under your belt? Personally, I think a gap year is valuable even if only as a way to rest your mind before matriculating, and factoring in the amount you would seem to be able to improve your application, taking a gap year seems the proper course of action to me.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking a gap year simply because I want to, not to improve my application, and it's been a fantastic decision. Four years of undergraduate can be tiring, and considering you're following it up with four years of an even more rigorous curriculum, time off to catch your breath seems reasonable.