Should I take a W in Biochemistry instead of a C due to my GPA already being low

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sasha0325

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So first of all I apologize for even asking thing because I know it’s been asked before, but I honestly can’t decide what to do. So I’m a non trad and am in my 30’s but some bad grades I got when I was a freshman (12 years ago!) are still haunting me. I had mostly B’s 2 C’s and one D during my freshman and sophomore year. The C’s and D were in BS electives that I didn’t even need. Then I stopped attending school due to the fact that I needed to work to help support my sick father.

Therefore, when I started back to college I had a 2.83 gpa but I have had a good upward trend and now have a 3.3. Which isn’t great but I’m trying I get it higher. I have good EC’s and great volunteer and clinical work.

So my question is should I take a W in Biochemistry instead of a C? I have 2 other W’s but I have valid reasons for them. I know W’s look terrible especially in Pre reqs, but if I take this C it will be really hard to get above a 3.4 gpa before applying next year. It’s not that I can’t preform well in this course. It’s just the teacher is new and is struggling with teaching online and almost the entire class is struggling to pass because of the way she grades. I know that if I retake it I can get an A.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There is also the option to take a pass/fail grading, but I feel like that looked just as bad.

??? You're a non-trad in your 30s! Do you honestly think one grade is going to make any difference at all in your outcome??? I think you'd have to be a masochist to take the class again in the belief that a single A instead of either a C or a P (no real difference there!) is going to alter your outcome. If you don't like the optics of the C, because you think the difference between a 3.41 and a 3.39 will be the difference between success and failure, take the P. Schools will know what it means (C), and they won't care!!

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
??? You're a non-trad in your 30s! Do you honestly think one grade is going to make any difference at all in your outcome??? I think you'd have to be a masochist to take the class again in the belief that a single A instead of either a C or a P (no real difference there!) is going to alter your outcome. If you don't like the optics of the C, because you think the difference between a 3.41 and a 3.39 will be the difference between success and failure, take the P. Schools will know what it means (C), and they won't care!!

KD even if your advice is helpful (which, I admit, in many instances it is), you choose to convey it aggressively in a holier-than-thou attitude. It is a huge turn off and quite harmful to premeds looking for help with things they can't rely on good advisors for because it makes them feel silly and that their questions are stupid when they aren't.

OP, I would agree with this advice in general in that a C is not great but passable for a prereq and that you should simply try your best to finish the semester strong. Here was a thread on SDN previously about prereq grades: HomeSkool's Simple Rules for Retaking Courses

The GPA difference would be minimal and your upwards trend is commendable.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Agreed. P or C does not matter. Retaking the class, even if you get an A on the retake, won't help either. If you want to go the MD route, then you will likely need to redeem your GPA in a graduate program and definitely need to adjust your studying habits so that a repeat of this biochem class does not occur--blaming performance on the teacher is not an acceptable excuse by a mile.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the replies. I’m looking at the fact that some schools might have a 3.4 cut off for out of state applicants. I agree that a 3.39 isn’t much different than 3.4 unless this cut off applies.

So overall you would assume that a C and a pass/fail grade are about the same? I asked my advisor about this and she just stated it’s up to me so it wasn’t much help.

Also, I completely agree that blaming a professor isn’t a valid excuse but unfortunately with this class she tested on material that wasn’t even covered or mention that it would be on the exam. The class only has 2 exams so with a bad grade on the first exam it’s really only possible to get a C for the class even with an A on the second exam.

With my low gpa I know that I may need to do a SMP or post bacc, but I still want to at least try to apply next cycle to see if I can get in.

I still want to at least try to apply next cycle to see if I can get in.
Just consider first that there is a bias against re-applicants because the very fact you applied and didn't get in once indicates there's a deficiency and the schools will wonder why. You can certainly overcome this barrier (I myself am a successful reapplicant--subpar essays the first time) but you also have the ability to circumvent a potential obstacle by doing it right the first time. So before you apply, just give an honest hard look at yourself and your application to see if you're actually competitive or just dreaming. If you think you have a better than average chance (the average applicant fails to get in), then apply away. Otherwise, delay a year or two to fix any deficiencies and make things easier for yourself in the future.

Thanks for the replies. I’m looking at the fact that some schools might have a 3.4 cut off for out of state applicants. I agree that a 3.39 isn’t much different than 3.4 unless this cut off applies.

So overall you would assume that a C and a pass/fail grade are about the same? I asked my advisor about this and she just stated it’s up to me so it wasn’t much help.

Also, I completely agree that blaming a professor isn’t a valid excuse but unfortunately with this class she tested on material that wasn’t even covered or mention that it would be on the exam. The class only has 2 exams so with a bad grade on the first exam it’s really only possible to get a C for the class even with an A on the second exam.

With my low gpa I know that I may need to do a SMP or post bacc, but I still want to at least try to apply next cycle to see if I can get in.
I've never heard of this. Unless you fall into a preferred group (URM, low-SES, 1st gen, etc.), anything below 3.7 makes it tough, but I don't know any school that has a hard 3.4 cutoff. There honestly is no difference, anywhere, between a 3.39 and 3.41.

If there is a cutoff anywhere, it's usually around 3.0. The difference between a C and a P really is only optics, so go for the P if you don't want the C calculated in your GPA. Again, adcoms will realize the P is masking a C, and they won't care. A 30+ non-trad will have other, more important elements in an application than a single biochem grade. Good luck!!

I've never heard of this. Unless you fall into a preferred group (URM, low-SES, 1st gen, etc.), anything below 3.7 makes it tough, but I don't know any school that has a hard 3.4 cutoff. There honestly is no difference, anywhere, between a 3.39 and 3.41.

If there is a cutoff anywhere, it's usually around 3.0. The difference between a C and a P really is only optics, so go for the P if you don't want the C calculated in your GPA. Again, adcoms will realize the P is masking a C, and they won't care. A 30+ non-trad will have other, more important elements in an application than a single biochem grade. Good luck!!

Thank you! I’m looking at MSAR for schools that I am interested in now. The only real cutoff I’m seeing is for sGPA and it’s 3.2.

I have heard people say some schools are no longer accepting pass/fail grades. They are only excepting them for spring 2020 classes not Fall. Have you heard this? On MSAR I only see a few schools where they specifically talk about pass/fail grades.

Thank you! I’m looking at MSAR for schools that I am interested in now. The only real cutoff I’m seeing is for sGPA and it’s 3.2.

I have heard people say some schools are no longer accepting pass/fail grades. They are only excepting them for spring 2020 classes not Fall. Have you heard this? On MSAR I only see a few schools where they specifically talk about pass/fail grades.

Yes, I can't recommend doing P/F except for Spring 2020 and possibly Summer 2020 classes.

Just consider first that there is a bias against re-applicants because the very fact you applied and didn't get in once indicates there's a deficiency and the schools will wonder why. You can certainly overcome this barrier (I myself am a successful reapplicant--subpar essays the first time) but you also have the ability to circumvent a potential obstacle by doing it right the first time. So before you apply, just give an honest hard look at yourself and your application to see if you're actually competitive or just dreaming. If you think you have a better than average chance (the average applicant fails to get in), then apply away. Otherwise, delay a year or two to fix any deficiencies and make things easier for yourself in the future.

My advisor mentioned this as well. I’m going to take the MCAT early next year so depending on how I do will help me decide if I should skip this app cycle. Being older than most applicants makes me want to rush and just try to get in, but I know that’s not the smart thing to do. I have about 30 schools I want to apply to based on stats so I’m hoping applying broadly will help as well.

It’s just the teacher is new and is struggling with teaching online and almost the entire class is struggling to pass because of the way she grades.
If most of the class is struggling then it is very likely the final course grade will be curved. Also before dropping or p/f maybe reach out to the professor and bring up your concerns about not doing as well as you hope. She should be able to give you guidance on how to prepare better for her exams.

P/F is very hit or miss, and is very school dependent. If in doubt, just call the school. To allay your concerns, just take the C. Over 120 credits, assuming it's a 4 credit class, the difference in your GPA between and A and a C will be 4*2/120 = 0.07. The more credits you have, the lower the impact, and, of course, for a non-trad, your experiences will be far more important than one grade in one class.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor mentioned this as well. I’m going to take the MCAT early next year so depending on how I do will help me decide if I should skip this app cycle. Being older than most applicants makes me want to rush and just try to get in, but I know that’s not the smart thing to do. I have about 30 schools I want to apply to based on stats so I’m hoping applying broadly will help as well.
Honestly, if you don't listen to anything else anyone tells you about anything, please listen to this -- having been part of this community for a year and a half, I can tell you that nothing seems to be more miserable than putting yourself through this and then having to do it again. People very nonchalantly take the MCAT or apply before they are ready, just to see what happens, only to be shocked to later learn that all the stories about things being more difficult for people who test or apply multiple times are true.

As painful as it feels, DO NOT RUSH!!! I realize you feel like you already lost enough time, and there is no reason to delay in order to procrastinate, but make sure you have all your ducks lined up to minimize the possibility of being unsuccessful. I myself pushed my cycle back, after much agonizing, because I realized I wasn't ready due to COVID related factors. Taking an unplanned gap year totally sucks, but the prospect of being a reapplicant terrified me even more. If nothing else, I am walking the walk!! :cool:

Reactions: 1 users
So my question is should I take a W in Biochemistry instead of a C?

Is your grade right now a C, or is that the highest grade you can get in the class?

I get what you mean that a lot of teachers are having a difficult time learning how to navigate complete online learning, but I think that if you have taken an exam from this teacher and you spend time thoroughly reviewing your exam and asking your teachers questions, you should be able to sense how their exam is structured and what they expect you to know. Really ask yourself "why did I get that problem wrong?" for every single question. It is perfectly okay to have a rough start to a class so long as you put a lot of effort into learning from your previous exam and changing your studying approach.

It is also very important to not confine yourself to your teacher's lecture materials. There's a lot of good online resources for biochemistry that can help supplement your class material. I remember in my physics class this one teacher who would only lecture on derivations and theories, he would seldom go over practice problems and then tested us on convoluted problems that looked nothing like his practice tests, so learning from youtube videos and other resources was really key.

If most of the class is struggling then it is very likely the final course grade will be curved. Also before dropping or p/f maybe reach out to the professor and bring up your concerns about not doing as well as you hope. She should be able to give you guidance on how to prepare better for her exams.

I’m really hoping for a curve but she said I’m the beginning of the class she doesn’t do curves. Considering that more than half of the class has a D or F I’m thinking she will have to do some sort of curve. I’ve tried reached out to her and she just says “I don’t like telling students what will be on the test because the only study that. I want you to learn everything”. Which I agree biochem is really important and I want to learn all of it. But to learn everything when about 8 to 10 chapters are on a test and she jumps from chapter 8 to 4 then to 22 it’s a little crazy to follow. But bottom line is I know med school will be harder so I will have to continue studying and praying.

Is your grade right now a C, or is that the highest grade you can get in the class?

I get what you mean that a lot of teachers are having a difficult time learning how to navigate complete online learning, but I think that if you have taken an exam from this teacher and you spend time thoroughly reviewing your exam and asking your teachers questions, you should be able to sense how their exam is structured and what they expect you to know. Really ask yourself "why did I get that problem wrong?" for every single question. It is perfectly okay to have a rough start to a class so long as you put a lot of effort into learning from your previous exam and changing your studying approach.

It is also very important to not confine yourself to your teacher's lecture materials. There's a lot of good online resources for biochemistry that can help supplement your class material. I remember in my physics class this one teacher who would only lecture on derivations and theories, he would seldom go over practice problems and then tested us on convoluted problems that looked nothing like his practice tests, so learning from youtube videos and other resources was really key.

The highest grade I can get is a B BUT I would have to get a 98 or better on the final. Of course I am going to strive for that, but realistically I’m likely to get a C as my final grade. I was rewatching her lectures and reading the book but she is just so all over the place and doesn’t give any examples so that wasn’t helping much. So I have started watching clutch prep videos and that is definitely helping.

Honestly, if you don't listen to anything else anyone tells you about anything, please listen to this -- having been part of this community for a year and a half, I can tell you that nothing seems to be more miserable than putting yourself through this and then having to do it again. People very nonchalantly take the MCAT or apply before they are ready, just to see what happens, only to be shocked to later learn that all the stories about things being more difficult for people who test or apply multiple times are true.

As painful as it feels, DO NOT RUSH!!! I realize you feel like you already lost enough time, and there is no reason to delay in order to procrastinate, but make sure you have all your ducks lined up to minimize the possibility of being unsuccessful. I myself pushed my cycle back, after much agonizing, because I realized I wasn't ready due to COVID related factors. Taking an unplanned gap year totally sucks, but the prospect of being a reapplicant terrified me even more. If nothing else, I am walking the walk!! :cool:

Thank you for the advice. I agree with what you’re saying and deep down I know that this is probably what I should do. I have 3 kids and I am a full time student. I also work in a research lab and volunteer at a hospice clinic. So I’m struggling to find time to study for the MCAT. I want to take it around March, but I do not want to retake it so I want to be sure to study as much as possible before taking it. Just typing that makes me lean more towards taking another year to raise my gpa and study for the MCAT. I just want to apply so I can finally get an answer to know if I will be able to get in so that I can stop obsessing about it but I know that is not the smartest way to look at it.

Thank you for the advice. I agree with what you’re saying and deep down I know that this is probably what I should do. I have 3 kids and I am a full time student. I also work in a research lab and volunteer at a hospice clinic. So I’m struggling to find time to study for the MCAT. I want to take it around March, but I do not want to retake it so I want to be sure to study as much as possible before taking it. Just typing that makes me lean more towards taking another year to raise my gpa and study for the MCAT. I just want to apply so I can finally get an answer to know if I will be able to get in so that I can stop obsessing about it but I know that is not the smartest way to look at it.
Again, please don't rush. You only want to do this once. The first thing is the MCAT. Take it when you are ready, whenever that is. Not before. There is nothing magic about March. You can take it as late as May or June and still be on time for the next cycle. If you don't like your scores on your practice tests, don't take it anyway, hoping for the best.

With respect to GPA, you haven't asked this yet, but is your heart set on MD? If so, you are going to struggle regardless of whether you are 3.3, 3.4, 3.5. Super experiences as a non-trad can mitigate some of that, but you will still struggle. If you are willing to consider DO, you will find success much less elusive with your GPA. Just something to think about if you don't want to spend more time trying to raise your GPA. No rush, since a lot will ultimately depend on your MCAT. 520+ is one conversation; 510- another one entirely.

Again, please don't rush. You only want to do this once. The first thing is the MCAT. Take it when you are ready, whenever that is. Not before. There is nothing magic about March. You can take it as late as May or June and still be on time for the next cycle. If you don't like your scores on your practice tests, don't take it anyway, hoping for the best.

With respect to GPA, you haven't asked this yet, but is your heart set on MD? If so, you are going to struggle regardless of whether you are 3.3, 3.4, 3.5. Super experiences as a non-trad can mitigate some of that, but you will still struggle. If you are willing to consider DO, you will find success much less elusive with your GPA. Just something to think about if you don't want to spend more time trying to raise your GPA. No rush, since a lot will ultimately depend on your MCAT. 520+ is one conversation; 510- another one entirely.
The reason I was pushing for March is so that I would have my score back before applying. Then hopefully I will get a really good score and that would help out shine my not so good GPA. If I wait to take the MCAT then I would be applying with just my GPA (numbers wise) which I feel won’t land me any interviews.

I would prefer the MD route but my reasons are not justified. I have nothing against DO and honestly love the osteopathic approach to healing the body. I have just always imagine having MD behind my name. When I do decide to apply I’m definitely going to apply MD and DO, but I will definitely be pushing more towards MD.

The reason I was pushing for March is so that I would have my score back before applying. Then hopefully I will get a really good score and that would help out shine my not so good GPA. If I wait to take the MCAT then I would be applying with just my GPA (numbers wise) which I feel won’t land me any interviews.

I would prefer the MD route but my reasons are not justified. I have nothing against DO and honestly love the osteopathic approach to healing the body. I have just always imagine having MD behind my name. When I do decide to apply I’m definitely going to apply MD and DO, but I will definitely be pushing more towards MD.
Not true! You can employ what we affectionately refer to on SDN as a "throwaway school" strategy. You file your primary application in May to just one school that you have zero interest in actually attending under any circumstances. This begins the process of verifying your application with AMCAS. Once you are verified (this can take anywhere from one day to many weeks, depending on when you submit) transmissions to additional schools happen within 24 hours. Using this strategy, you can take the test in May or June, get your score back in June or July, and still apply early with your MCAT score.

Not true! You can employ what we affectionately refer to on SDN as a "throwaway school" strategy. You file your primary application in May to just one school that you have zero interest in actually attending under any circumstances. This begins the process of verifying your application with AMCAS. Once you are verified (this can take anywhere from one day to many weeks, depending on when you submit) transmissions to additional schools happen within 24 hours. Using this strategy, you can take the test in May or June, get your score back in June or July, and still apply early with your MCAT score.
Thank you so much. I had no idea that you could do that. I have been stressing so much about making sure I have time to properly study and still be ready by March. I know that I need to apply early for sure since I’m not a very competitive applicant so this helps so much. Thank you for all of your advice it has been so helpful!

I did have one more question if you don’t mind! I spoke with my advisor today and she is pushing me towards a one year master program. Do you think it is smarter/more beneficial to do a one years masters or to just take some additional upper level science classes to boost my gpa and sgpa?

I did have one more question if you don’t mind! I spoke with my advisor today and she is pushing me towards a one year master program. Do you think it is smarter/more beneficial to do a one years masters or to just take some additional upper level science classes to boost my gpa and sgpa?
That's the big question here on SDN!!! :cool:

The one year SMPs are very expensive, but often include linkages to a MD program that could ease your path to a MD admission if you do very well, or else totally screw you if you don't. For this reason, they are considered high risk / high reward. DIY post-bacc classes, on the other hand, are far less expensive and far more flexible, since you choose whatever classes you want to take, and where, but they don't have the upside of a linkage to a MD program. Do a search on SDN and you will find many threads on this topic.

I don't know enough about it to offer a knowledgeable opinion one way or the other. Some people swear by the SMPs, others curse them for not following through on promises. I guess your perspective will depend on how you do in the program. A big downside is that I don't think financial aid is available for them. That makes them a huge cash cow for the schools that offer them, which could serve as an incentive for a school to over promise and under deliver.

I don't know enough about it to offer a knowledgeable opinion one way or the other.

That’s actually a perfect answer. I thought it was weird just how much she was pushing the masters program. As soon as I mentioned my gpa (I didn’t even tell her what it was and she didn’t have my info pulled up yet) she was already pushing the program. I guess I’m really going to be praying they care about upward trends.

I have the credits for my bachelors but haven’t graduated because I have 1 Pre req left. Do you think it will be obvious that I am taking extra courses that I don’t need so that I can’t just boost my gpa? Or is that not a bad thing, just me proving I’m capable up upper level science classes.

I don't know enough about it to offer a knowledgeable opinion one way or the other.

That’s actually a perfect answer. I thought it was weird just how much she was pushing the masters program. As soon as I mentioned my gpa (I didn’t even tell her what it was and she didn’t have my info pulled up yet) she was already pushing the program. I guess I’m really going to be praying they care about upward trends.

I have the credits for my bachelors but haven’t graduated because I have 1 Pre req left. Do you think it will be obvious that I am taking extra courses that I don’t need so that I can’t just boost my gpa? Or is that not a bad thing, just me proving I’m capable up upper level science classes.
She might be pushing it because she is incentivized to do so, like some advisors do with Caribbean schools. Either that, or maybe it's all she knows?

Some schools definitely care about upward trends, other not as much. @Goro is the guru for people looking to reinvent themselves through post graduate work. Look for his posts on the topic.

Schools won't care about the reason you are staying in school. After all, many of them actively reward people doing exactly what you are doing as part of a post-bacc program. What they won't reward is an A in Advanced Topics in Basket Weaving. Taking upper level science course and doing well in them, while stalling on completing your degree, most definitely will NOT be looked down upon.

Tbh it's not that bad. Don't get in the first time? Take a year or two off, get some work experience, grow up a little bit. That's what happened to me and I'm actually really glad it happened. I believe the maturity you gain better prepares you to be a better medical student. Needing to push stuff back a bit may seem like it sucks, but it's really for the best and you'll be glad for it later.

Tbh it's not that bad. Don't get in the first time? Take a year or two off, get some work experience, grow up a little bit. That's what happened to me and I'm actually really glad it happened. I believe the maturity you gain better prepares you to be a better medical student. Needing to push stuff back a bit may seem like it sucks, but it's really for the best and you'll be glad for it later.
But, in hindsight, don't you agree you'd have been better off knowing that and doing your working and growing BEFORE having a first failed cycle? It seems to me like there would be a very high value placed on avoiding the hard work and profound disappointment of an unsuccessful cycle, if possible. At least that's the case for me, which is the primary reason I didn't apply this cycle.

But, in hindsight, don't you agree you'd have been better off knowing that and doing your working and growing BEFORE having a first failed cycle? It seems to me like there would be a very high value placed on avoiding the hard work and profound disappointment of an unsuccessful cycle, if possible. At least that's the case for me, which is the primary reason I didn't apply this cycle.

lol sure. Would I loved to have had my maturity level now at 18? Of course. But things take time and it varies by person. Maybe I'm a bit more of a late bloomer compared to some of the superstar applicants, but matriculating at 24 does not make me any less happy than matriculating at 22. It was disappointing failing a cycle, but it was also a moment of growth. This learning experience is better before medical school than during imo. So yes, in a way I am kind of glad I was waitlisted because I don't think I was truly ready for the rigors of medical school two cycles ago.

Disclaimer, I also definitely do not recommend anyone apply with a half assed app. Im not saying seek out this experience of getting rejected from med school, but rather that if it happens, there are definitely silver linings attached.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
But, in hindsight, don't you agree you'd have been better off knowing that and doing your working and growing BEFORE having a first failed cycle?
Honestly, for me, no. I have come to really appreciate the unexpected gap year I took but actually going through the process and confronting that failure, which can really challenge your own identity, made me grow a lot as a person. I would not be who I am today and the doctor I will be soon without it. I can respect and honor my own journey that I’ve taken, even if it wasn’t as smooth as I had hoped.

That said, I absolutely would not advise others follow in that path if they can prevent it. Definitely do it right the first time and take all the time you need. Everyone seems to want to rush (including myself when I failed) but there really is no need. The extra time spent on the journey won’t be looked back on with regret once you’re an attending or on your death bed.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
She might be pushing it because she is incentivized to do so, like some advisors do with Caribbean schools. Either that, or maybe it's all she knows?

Some schools definitely care about upward trends, other not as much. @Goro is the guru for people looking to reinvent themselves through post graduate work. Look for his posts on the topic.

Schools won't care about the reason you are staying in school. After all, many of them actively reward people doing exactly what you are doing as part of a post-bacc program. What they won't reward is an A in Advanced Topics in Basket Weaving. Taking upper level science course and doing well in them, while stalling on completing your degree, most definitely will NOT be looked down upon.
I promise this is the last question then I will leave you alone! So if I apply in using a “throwaway school” then update it with my MCAT could I also update my gpa? I’m asking because I plan on taking some extra classes next summer to help with my gpa. Since I wouldn’t get these grades back until July would I still be able to change my GPA or would that not be possible since I would have to send in a new transcript and get reverified?

I promise this is the last question then I will leave you alone! So if I apply in using a “throwaway school” then update it with my MCAT could I also update my gpa? I’m asking because I plan on taking some extra classes next summer to help with my gpa. Since I wouldn’t get these grades back until July would I still be able to change my GPA or would that not be possible since I would have to send in a new transcript and get reverified?
Not exactly! MCAT scores are added automatically, since AAMC runs both the test and AMCAS, but adding transcripts after submission isn't even a change you can make. Once your application is verified, that's it for the current cycle, other than limited changes, such as adding schools or LORs.

No point in submitting without all grades you want the schools to see. If you are going to be waiting until July in order to include those grades, there is no reason you can't take the MCAT in May or June, or even July, since a July submission won't be verified until sometime in August anyway!

Last edited:
Not exactly! MCAT scores are added automatically, since AAMC runs both the test and AMCAS, but adding transcripts after submission isn't even a change you can make. Once your application is verified, that's it for the current cycle, other than limited changes, such as adding schools or LORs.

No point in submitting without all grades you want the schools to see. If you are going to be waiting until July in order to include those grades, there is no reason you can't take the MCAT in May or June, or even July, since a July submission won't be verified until sometime in August anyway!
Ok so it comes down to applying early and getting verified early, but my gpa would be slightly lower. Or waiting till July to apply meaning I will get verified later with a slightly higher gpa. I hear so much about how important it is to apply early so I guess that will be the skater route to go. Thank you sooo much!

Ok so it comes down to applying early and getting verified early, but my gpa would be slightly lower. Or waiting till July to apply meaning I will get verified later with a slightly higher gpa. I hear so much about how important it is to apply early so I guess that will be the skater route to go. Thank you sooo much!
No, no, no. It's the OCD, hyper-neurotics on SDN who are such strong advocates of applying "early." Keep in mind that there is "early" and then there is "early." :cool: Applying in May is great, but hardly necessary. July is still early.

Conventional wisdom is being complete by Labor Day is fine, everywhere. If the difference is 0.02 on your GPA, there is no real reason to wait. But, if giving yourself more needed time to increase your MCAT score and meaningfully increase your GPA means submitting in July instead of May, that will likely do far more to benefit your application than being complete in mid-late June instead of late August-early September.

No, no, no. It's the OCD, hyper-neurotics on SDN who are such strong advocates of applying "early." Keep in mind that there is "early" and then there is "early." :cool: Applying in May is great, but hardly necessary. July is still early.

Conventional wisdom is being complete by Labor Day is fine, everywhere. If the difference is 0.02 on your GPA, there is no real reason to wait. But, if giving yourself more needed time to increase your MCAT score and meaningfully increase your GPA means submitting in July instead of May, that will likely do far more to benefit your application than being complete in mid-late June instead of late August-early September.
That makes sense. I was under the impression that I needed to have my app ready the moment it opened up. The change in my cGPA will be minor but the change in my sGPA will be the main one that I am concerned with since it will drop some with this C in Biochemistry. So it sounds like it’s definitely going to be beneficial to wait so I can not only apply with a better gpa but most likely a better MCAT since I will have more time to study. I can’t thank you enough. This has been so incredibly helpful!