Should I take a W in Orgo or stick it out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninidia

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me make a decision on this. I'm currently working on my MPH and trying to complete pre-med requirements. My science GPA is ~3.4ish. I have 3 more prereqs to complete excluding Orgo 1 which I'm in.
I'm currently at a B to B+ in the class and the material is only getting more intense (Virtual Orgo with minimal office hours is tough). In addition to a full graduate school course load and a 10hr a week practicum, I am currently working 40+ hours a week and cannot afford to work less. I know I could get an A in this class if I just had more time to study.
Should I take a W and take it in a different semester when I am not so busy? I graduate in May so I can take my prereqs with limited distraction after. Or should I stick it out and potentially get a B or lower? I'm worried about my science gpa getting worse.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me make a decision on this. I'm currently working on my MPH and trying to complete pre-med requirements. My science GPA is ~3.4ish. I have 3 more prereqs to complete excluding Orgo 1 which I'm in.
I'm currently at a B to B+ in the class and the material is only getting more intense (Virtual Orgo with minimal office hours is tough). In addition to a full graduate school course load and a 10hr a week practicum, I am currently working 40+ hours a week and cannot afford to work less. I know I could get an A in this class if I just had more time to study.
Should I take a W and take it in a different semester when I am not so busy? I graduate in May so I can take my prereqs with limited distraction after. Or should I stick it out and potentially get a B or lower? I'm worried about my science gpa getting worse.
I'm not an adcom, but it's difficult to believe that the difference between an A and a B (or C) in orgo 1 is going to be the difference between success and failure. On the other hand, if you're feeling overwhelmed now, that's what the W is for, and one W in a post-bacc class isn't going to derail your future in medicine. There's no wrong decision here. Just do what feels right for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Check out Kahn Academy on YouTube if you haven’t already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with khan academy. It’s clutch.

Also a B in orgo 1 is fine. Will not hurt you at all. Neither will a single W, but a B isn’t worth taking a W over especially since it will probably be obvious that you took the W to avoid a B or a lower grade, which isn’t a great reason.

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed with above. I would take a B over a W on my transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the responses; they made me consider other options. I have a couple of weeks to withdraw or switch to pass/no credit to take some of the pressure off. I have a quiz coming up so I'll prep as much as I can and take things from there. Definitely feel better knowing I'm not doomed whichever option I choose to take😁.

Thanks for all the responses; they made me consider other options. I have a couple of weeks to withdraw or switch to pass/no credit to take some of the pressure off. I have a quiz coming up so I'll prep as much as I can and take things from there. Definitely feel better knowing I'm not doomed whichever option I choose to take😁.
Do what you feel you need to, but if I were you I'd check with schools I'm considering applying to to see how they feel about voluntary P/F grades for prereqs before I chose that option. JMHO, but I'm pretty sure there are schools that do want to see grades, especially for prereqs, since I don't think any school is mandatory P/F this semester.

B >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> P/F >>>>> W

Taking a W is essentially shooting yourself in the foot. And almost every school requires a letter grade for pre-requisites (some schools are getting rid of pre-reqs altogether) so P/F won't work unless you plan to retake for a letter grade. Between all these options, the only thing that won't stand out on your application when Adcoms are reading it is a 'B'. I know many people who get into schools with B's in Ochem.

You sound very busy! Best of luck in completing your MPH.

Hi,
Should I take a W and take it in a different semester when I am not so busy? I graduate in May so I can take my prereqs with limited distraction after. Or should I stick it out and potentially get a B or lower? I'm worried about my science gpa getting wors

Of course an A would be ideal but I don't think a B is worth taking a W for. If you were in the C range or lower that would probably be a different story

The consensus seems to be that B > W, but I would say that the skills/understandings you develop in Orgo I will be necessary in Orgo II and the labs.
I would personally prefer to take the W and use the retake to build a super sound organic chemistry foundation. And then knock the courses out of the park (higher sGPA)!

Of course an A would be ideal but I don't think a B is worth taking a W for. If you were in the C range or lower that would probably be a different story
^ This. But even if you do take a W and it's the only one you have on your transcript, it is not going to kill you. I had one W and it never came up in any interviews; but that's anecdotal of course. Best of luck!

I think my biggest dilemma stems from the final being 35% of the grade so if I can't effectively study for it, my grade could drop dramatically from a B to a C or lower if I royally tank it lol. That's why I was wondering if I should cut my losses and take a W or P/F.

I think my biggest dilemma stems from the final being 35% of the grade so if I can't effectively study for it, my grade could drop dramatically from a B to a C or lower if I royally tank it lol. That's why I was wondering if I should cut my losses and take a W or P/F.
If you take a W or P/F, you'll need to retake the course anyway. So, even if you ended up with a C or lower, you would still be in the same position, where you would most likely retake for a better grade. However, you could also smash the final and end up with a B or better (and who knows, the professor might give a generous curve on the final).

If the course and time commitment are killing your mental health, consider withdrawing. There's never a good time for O Chem! But, not having to take it again would be a huge plus for you.

If you take a W or P/F, you'll need to retake the course anyway. So, even if you ended up with a C or lower, you would still be in the same position, where you would most likely retake for a better grade. However, you could also smash the final and end up with a B or better (and who knows, the professor might give a generous curve on the final).

If the course and time commitment are killing your mental health, consider withdrawing. There's never a good time for O Chem! But, not having to take it again would be a huge plus for you.
Yeah, exactly. Considering that, I've decided to stick with it at least till after my last quiz cos I really don't want to have to retake. I have a couple of weeks and I should have a better picture by then.

Just a heads up: orgo 2 tends to be more challenging than orgo 1, and 2 builds on the concepts learned in 1.