Should I take a W??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouthwash4hobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't decide if I should finish this class or not. It's a humanities course, not required, as in I could take a different course in the same category. I have a week to decide if I'm going to take a W.

I'm doing well in the class, but I hate it! I still have a novel to read, a research paper, two study guides which is equivalent to a research paper, another assignment, tons of reading, and a final. I'm taking 15 credits and I think I'd rather spend my extra time studying and doing better in my other classes.

Is this a bad idea? I already have several W's from my first attempt at college a few years back. I'm a returning student this semester, a junior.

I have decided 5 classes and work is too much. AH. sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't decide if I should finish this class or not. It's a humanities course, not required, as in I could take a different course in the same category. I have a week to decide if I'm going to take a W.

I'm doing well in the class, but I hate it! I still have a novel to read, a research paper, two study guides which is equivalent to a research paper, another assignment, tons of reading, and a final. I'm taking 15 credits and I think I'd rather spend my extra time studying and doing better in my other classes.

Is this a bad idea? I already have several W's from my first attempt at college a few years back. I'm a returning student this semester, a junior.

If you think that you are going to come out with a bad grade then yes take a W. If you think you can come out with a good grade even though you hate it then keep the class. Your goal, I assume, is to get into medical school, so do what is best.

Well, a "W" would not affect your GPA, but it can bring some negativity to your application. The important thing is this: if you take a "W," you better complete that class with a "B" or better BEFORE you apply to medical school. Or else, you've got some explaining to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already have Ws, you just need to finish the class - especially if you said you're doing well in it.

A lot of Ws raises red flags to adcoms. Many times it's better to take a C than a W.

My opinion/what I've heard is that you only want to take a W if your grade is going to be really bad, like an F or a D. If you think you can power through the term, I'd do that and chalk this up to a life experience. If you aren't going to make it though, you should W.

As someone who was strongly considering dropping a class for a W but ended up with an A, I strongly recommend not dropping. I think a reduced courseload looks bad. And it feels good to succeed in something you hate =]

I think it's especially important for you not to withdraw if this is your first semester back in school after a rough start. Power through, if you can. Even if you get a mediocre grade, it'll show determination to get things right this time around. And next semester you'll have a better idea about the courseload you can handle while working, which will hopefully mean stellar grades :thumbup: Good luck!

I'd avoid more W's if you have any on your transcript. Honestly, while the class may suck, it doesn't sound like too much work. I'm taking a writing class now that requires reading at least a book per week, five essays, and a portfolio at the end.

I'd only take a W if I switched majors and one of the classes was really difficult. This class sounds annoying, but not difficult. Stick with it and get an A.

Rather than make another thread about this, I'll just glom on to this one....
I just failed my first Calculus II exam...I got a 40%. This is worth 20% of my grade, which means I've already lost 12% of my final grade. I have like an 80 on my homeworks, which are worth 15% of my total grade. If I can get the professor to let me drop with a W and then retry next semester, is that a good idea? I really don't see this picking up, if I got a 100% on everything else I'd only get like an 85 and I guarantee I'm not going to get a 100 on everything else

Rather than make another thread about this, I'll just glom on to this one....
I just failed my first Calculus II exam...I got a 40%. This is worth 20% of my grade, which means I've already lost 12% of my final grade. I have like an 80 on my homeworks, which are worth 15% of my total grade. If I can get the professor to let me drop with a W and then retry next semester, is that a good idea? I really don't see this picking up, if I got a 100% on everything else I'd only get like an 85 and I guarantee I'm not going to get a 100 on everything else

If you really want to aim for a B or higher and don't think you're capable this time, then I would take a W in your situation.

I'm choosing to take a W because I overloaded on classes and work and I cannot keep up with all my classes. Also, I strongly dislike the class. My goal is to get A's in the other 4 classes and hope the W doesn't look that bad. Thanks for all the opinions, I did consider sticking with the class but I would rather have higher grades in the other courses rather than mediocre grades in all of them.

If you really want to aim for a B or higher and don't think you're capable this time, then I would take a W in your situation.

I'm choosing to take a W because I overloaded on classes and work and I cannot keep up with all my classes. Also, I strongly dislike the class. My goal is to get A's in the other 4 classes and hope the W doesn't look that bad. Thanks for all the opinions, I did consider sticking with the class but I would rather have higher grades in the other courses rather than mediocre grades in all of them.

Do you think it would look bad if have a Q and then take the class at a community college? Calc II is a graduation requirement, but I will never use it again....and I am really bad at it, haha

Do you think it would look bad if have a Q and then take the class at a community college? Calc II is a graduation requirement, but I will never use it again....and I am really bad at it, haha

Have you tried getting help first? I understand not wanting to finish because your grade would be 85 or lower, but you ought to consider going in for help. Maybe ask questions during office hours or if your school is like mine, there should be a math/science help center? Just some thoughts before you consider taking from a community college.