Should I take a year off of school to go to Paramedic School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hossaq

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute majoring in Chemical engineering. My GPA is 3.4 and SGPA is 3.6. I had a bad freshman year 1st semester, other than that my GPA is good. And I work on average 40 hours a week while taking full course load to support myself.

I have been an EMT-B for about 7 months now, working in a commercial agency and volunteerimg with 2 other agencies. I love the job and the patient contact that I am getting. My question is, is it worth my time to take a year off school and become a paramedic and then work in a commercial agency in my senior year? Will this in anyway give me even a slight edge in getting into medical school?

Just to clarify, I didn't become an EMT or want to go to Paramedic school just to boost my CV for medical school. I absolutely love the job and would love to expand my knowledge and skills. If that gives me an edge in medical school application, it's just an added benefit.

Thank you for reading this really long post and thanks in advance for your help and time!

Members don't see this ad.

If you take one year and quantify the things you can potentially do in terms of usefulness, taking one year off to become a paramedic is not worth it. This is because in one year you can do a lot of other stuff that is looked upon far more favorably than the upgrade from an EMT -> medic. Focus on your studies and other aspects of your application as they are far more valuable.

Reactions: 4 users
I am currently a junior at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute majoring in Chemical engineering. My GPA is 3.4 and SGPA is 3.6. I had a bad freshman year 1st semester, other than that my GPA is good. And I work on average 40 hours a week while taking full course load to support myself.

I have been an EMT-B for about 7 months now, working in a commercial agency and volunteerimg with 2 other agencies. I love the job and the patient contact that I am getting. My question is, is it worth my time to take a year off school and become a paramedic and then work in a commercial agency in my senior year? Will this in anyway give me even a slight edge in getting into medical school?

Just to clarify, I didn't become an EMT or want to go to Paramedic school just to boost my CV for medical school. I absolutely love the job and would love to expand my knowledge and skills. If that gives me an edge in medical school application, it's just an added benefit.

Thank you for reading this really long post and thanks in advance for your help and time!

About 60% of medical school applicants don't get into medical school. If you don't achieve your goal of being admitted to medical school, then becoming a paramedic and practicing for a few years would be a good Plan B. If you still want to go on to medical school, you could reapply to med schools or go to medical school by way of a special masters program to show that you are up to the academic rigors of medical school.

If it is any consolation, junior year grades are usually better than sophomore year and senior year grades better than the previous two so you are set up to show an upward trend and that's a good thing.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you take one year and quantify the things you can potentially do in terms of usefulness, taking one year off to become a paramedic is not worth it. This is because in one year you can do a lot of other stuff that is looked upon far more favorably than the upgrade from an EMT -> medic. Focus on your studies and other aspects of your application as they are far more valuable.

I decided to take this path during one of my (multiple) gap years and I must say that @Tenk is correct.

I am thankful for the knowledge I have gained, but it will only benefit me so much in the long-term. I would have been much better served focusing on school/MCAT prep. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Research, volunteering, in-house clinical exposure.... all of these have equal or greater value than upgrading to medic. Everyone is always looking for an 'edge' when it comes to med school and frankly, there is nothing you're going to do that someone else isn't also doing or has done longer/better. Focus on grades and becoming a well-rounded applicant not an OK applicant with one 'outstanding' feature.

Reactions: 2 users
I was a paramedic before med school. A lot of people I interviewed with had no idea what the difference is between EMT-B and P. That leaves you to have a precarious conversation about how paramedics start IV's, have 50 different drugs they give, do intubations and chest decompressions, put patients on ventilators, interpret 12 leads, etc. You want to express that you know some things and have some experience making impactful patient care decisions autonomously, but without coming across as a cowboy.

I feel like I was never successful in walking that fine line and it probably hurt me at many of my interviews. In retrospect, probably better to err on the side of "paramedics just have more training and more toys to play with" than a full explanation. Alas. Most of my most powerful patient care stories came from working as an emt-b doing interfacility transfers anyways.

Here's a post I have bookmarked that was influential for me:
This post is directed at the OP, but applies to traditional undergrads as well. Anyway,
I'm assuming you're an EMT-B already, since that is usually a mandatory pre-requisite to becoming a paramedic (though this might be different in other states). Great, you got a head start on your med school hopeful peers, you don't really know too much as an EMT-B so you still have a healthy appreciation that you don't know very much about medicine. Believe it or not this is a wonderful place to be. I strongly advise you to stop right there (at EMT-B) and devote yourself entirely to becoming a physician.

Here's why:
EMS is a bit of a trap, you can get all caught up in it, because you are enjoying what you are doing, helping others, taking care of emergencies, etc. It's a good high when things go really right. Then you meet a paramedic, and think to yourself: boy can this guy take care of business, I'd really love to be able to do all that great stuff too! But there is really not that much to being a paramedic. Unfortunately nobody really tells you this. IN your world, all these new skills are exciting and impressive, So then things start to take a turn in your life. Let me tell you a little about what I mean:

Paramedics are funny people, they are experts in a very, very, narrow slice of medicine. In fact, when it comes down to the business of prehospital emergency care, nobody does it like a medic. WOW, I think I want to do this medic thing, I'm going to go for it, atleast for now, until I go to med school next year. BUT, you can easily get all caught up in the ALS pre-hospital care scene. Because you are doing life saving interventions you may feel like you fast forwarded yourself to "doctor" or at least the preconceived notion you had of doctors before you ever got involved in medicine. So anyway, there you'll be doing all these great skills, and soon you'll start to think that gee-whiz look at all the great things that I can do as a medic (ha! nurses my ass, they can't do this stuff!). Heck, all that other stuff in medicine really is not as important as this stuff I'm doing right now (IVs, intubation and pacing oh my!), and that's when you start to make a very big mistake. All of a sudden you really stop caring about all the other things that medicine has to offer, so you stop learning about anything that doesn't have anything to do with the "important stuff". Now depending on how long this lasts you can piss away 4,5,6 years doing EMS work and be totally satisfied. But then something happens, it can be some job that went bad on you or you come across something you've never been prepared to deal with, or any other number of things that cause you to become reflective about yourself as a professional. So then you start to read again and you once again rediscover that there is a whole world of medical knowledge out there you weren't aware of as a medic. So now you're studying again and learning about the things you didn't know, but you are never able to do it in any coherent way. The sheer volume of the material is intimidating and you have no real way of knowing if you are making any progress. Plus you are surrounded by your peers, fellow paramedic professionals who tell you things like who the heck cares about temporal arteritis, that's not important and what the heck is so important about this pancreatic psuedocyst you speak of??? So now you start to get frustrated, and you look around at the people around you who are very content with being medics and knowing what medics know, and incorrectly equating their skill proficiency with medical knowledge. But not you. You start to remember that you wanted to be a doctor, and you look back and say, how the **** did I get here, this isn't what I wanted for myself professionally or personally. This whole medic thing was supposed to be a stepping stone to becoming a physician. You become, really frustrated, pissed off, burnt out and then to add insult to injury you start to realize that you are wildly underpaid for the work you are doing. Nurses don't have to put up with 1/2 the crap that I do and they get paid 3 times as much, plus I know a hell of alot more! That's the last straw, F-this you say, I'm going back to school. Only now you are well into your mid- late 20's, (in your case, mid-late 30's) maybe you got a mortgage, a big monthly car payment, who knows maybe a wife and kids in private school, your Golden Opportunity to become a physician is now well past you. You now must suffer in new and interesting ways to get to where you wanted to be in the first place. So sacrifices and painful choices are made and finally 7-8 years later you are back on track for the MD, older, a little more worn out, less enthusiastic, but hopefully a little wiser. Maybe.

So the question is, are you absolutely, positively sure that being a medic is what you want? Think long and hard about this, this is your life afterall. That being said, you gotta do what you gotta do, if you are supporting your whole family or you are on your own out there I can understand. But think about this seriously think about this. This is a long post, but I did not make all of this stuff up, I speak to you from my experience. There are alot of other things I can go into, all sorts of crazy stuff that you'll be banging your head against, but I think I'd be writing for days and days. Anyway best of luck, you can always drop me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of people I interviewed with had no idea what the difference is between EMT-B and P
In some ares, while you can be certified as a paramedic, you won't be hired. In most of southern Cal, you can only be a paramedic if you through a fire company or other public EMS. So it's not surprising people don't know the difference.

Med schools appreciate scribing over paramedic experience. If you really want to enhance your application, do that.

I've talked to many admissions offices and they all say that. The reasoning behind this is that in scribing you're actually finding out what a physician is doing for their career, and paramedics are obviously vastly different than physicians.

Paramedic school (and Mohawk) will be there after you graduate. ChemE is obviously a killer major and RPI is as grade deflating as they come. Don't waste your time with this; if it's a passion and med school doesn't work out then go to HVCC and take their program after you graduate.

Or work for Sabic/GE/GF and make boatloads as a chemical engineer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Your grades are ok OP.. keep up the upward trend. IMO a year off to upgrade to paramedic is only worth it if you'd like to take a few gap years and be out in the work force before medical school.

Thanks a lot everyone for your response! All of the responses had some insight and I really appriciate it!

Thanks a lot everyone for your response! All of the responses had some insight and I really appriciate it!

What did you end up choosing? Feel free to PM if you prefer, I'm just curious.

What did you end up choosing? Feel free to PM if you prefer, I'm just curious.

I have decided to hold off on medic school atleast until graduation

One more question to everyone, I will most likely take 1 or 2 gap years before applying to medical school (assuming I don't get into med school right out of college). Which will serve me better? A post-bac premed program, a masters in my current field(chemical/biomedical engineering) or paramedic school?

Paramedic school (and Mohawk) will be there after you graduate. ChemE is obviously a killer major and RPI is as grade deflating as they come. Don't waste your time with this; if it's a passion and med school doesn't work out then go to HVCC and take their program after you graduate.

Or work for Sabic/GE/GF and make boatloads as a chemical engineer.

How did you know I was referreing to Mohawk when I said commercial ambulance agency? Just curious

Your GPAs are decent; I would give it a shot to apply. As far as going to paramedic school, I'd put that to the side in the case you don't get into any med schools. You're better off scribing to look better for adcoms. If you were to take a year off, I'd suggest raising your 3.4 GPA a bit higher to be more competitive.

Grades > ECs

Reactions: 1 users
How did you know I was referreing to Mohawk when I said commercial ambulance agency? Just curious

Sent PM. Also, ChemE at RPI is notoriously grade deflating; the most hardworking person I have ever met had a ~3.3 in ChemE there and she's now banking it for a top company, recruited right out of school.

Reactions: 1 users