Should I take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

real4867

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Pre-Pharmacy student at UC Davis. I love pharmacy and I know it's what I want to do. I struggled with organic chemistry and got C's all three quarter. Other than those three C's I have a C in Gen Bio and in Physics 7C. Overall my GPA before transferring to UC Davis from a JC was a 3.5 (Semester system) and after transferring 3.0 (quarter system). I'm sure after combining the two, they should not be below a 3.0. I want to apply to pharmacy school this year but I'm worried about how they will interpret my orgo. I've also been doing well in my other upper division biology classes. It was just orgo that really killed me. Should I wait a year or take the chance and apply. I have ample pharmacy experience and great leadership positions. Really involved in campus. I also have all of senior year to kick butt in my classes. Has anyone gotten into pharmacy school with bad ochem grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take a semester off. A year might be too much.

I should still apply this upcoming cycle?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are not doing so bad, there is a lot of people that are bad at Orgo. Have you taken your PCAT yet? If you do good on it, there is a good chance you can get in into pharmacy school :) (this upcoming cycle)

I'm applying to California schools so I'm not going to take the PCAT. My top three choices are California Northstate, Touro and University of the Pacific. I really want to go to California Northstate for a number or reasons including proximity to home and I have worked with a number of students from their pharmacy school.