Should I take Anatomy and Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dboy

I'm planning on taking Bio 2, Phy 1, Anatomy & Physiology 1, Spanish 1, and statistics this fall. 19 credit hours! Do you guys recommend A & P? I know a lot of dental schools recommend gross anotomy.

Members don't see this ad.

dboy said:
I'm planning on taking Bio 2, Phy 1, Anatomy & Physiology 1, Spanish 1, and statistics this fall. 19 credit hours! Do you guys recommend A & P? I know a lot of dental schools recommend gross anotomy.

I do recommend A&P. If your school offers a seperate physiology course I advise that you take that over anatomy as the anatomy you learn in dental school really focuses on the head and neck - areas that most undergrad courses skip over or lightly touch upon.

Take both. Both will help you prepare for the DATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take both. Both will help you prepare for the DATs.

Hit the nail on the head! I have heard from a few of my buddies that are in D school and countless SDNers that Anatomy and physiology can really help you on the DAT. Of course, the test does come down to a luck of the draw type deal, but it's always better to be prepared.

If your schedule will allow it without putting you behind and there is no other pertinent class for your major, I say take it. I will be in A&P this fall.

dboy said:

A lot of it comes down to your gut, but if you want an opinion...the physiology is good, the anatomy...eh. At my school we have separate A and P courses, each 4 cr. and semester-long. I took the physiology and have found it very useful for DAT prep. and all-around knowledge. I've contemplated taking anatomy, but decided against it. Instead, I'm opting to put the extra time into the course i already have and do some more shadowing. You will learn the anatomy in dental school that you need to know. I'm sure it could hurt to take it once now, but consider what that'll mean when it comes to your grades and your courseload.

If you can, take any type of Physiology course. It helped me tremendously on my DAT. Plus it was the most interesting biology course that I have taken yet.

I agree A&P really helped for the DAT. Usually it's a yearlong sequence of courses and a serious amount of work with a cadaver lab. However, it was very valuable background for the DAT. Your proposed courseload looks like a lot to do - don't trash your GPA over it.

I didn't take anatomy, and wish I had. The DAT has quite a bit of anatomy on it, and I had to study it all on my own. It would have been much easier to take a class. You'll have to learn it anyway - guaranteed. May as well take the class, and boost your science GPA.