Should i take biochem and microbio this fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am debating whether I should take biochem which would be a state school costing me 1800 and then have a 30 min commute to my cc to take microbio cause they are both near the same time for this fall. Sounds like a really big hassle right now since classes have already started. Or take biochemistry during spring while studying DAT so I can be ready to apply when it opens? I am also debating whether to not take it all since alot of dental schools don't really require it, however I know it is very useful. What to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're applying next cycle, you have plenty of time to complete them without making it a hassle. You should probably try and take them both at your university, rather than CC.

I am already taking microbio at a CC :/. Do you think it is a must to take biochem? I am just confused how I can take biochem during the spring on top of studying for dat so I can apply when it opens.

I am already taking microbio at a CC :/. Do you think it is a must to take biochem? I am just confused how I can take biochem during the spring on top of studying for dat so I can apply when it opens.
Biochem will help a lot with your DAT studying...

Members don't see this ad :)
For the DAT? Not necessarily. For dental school? Absolutely. You can take it while studying for the DAT. I studied for the DAT while taking bio and orgo. You just gotta work it out.

Don't worry so much. Register and destroy all the things!!! You'll be fine.

Okay sounds good. One question I have is about volunteer hours. Now should it be purely dental related or do dental school care more about doing any kinds of volunteer? How would they know if you volunteered or not? I figure I would volunteer on top of taking that class. Would it be better to do various kinds of volunteer or focus on one specifically?

Last edited:
So I emailed one of the dental schools since they said they do not take cc credit for human anatomy. I took Human anatomy, microbio, and physio at a community college and will take biochemistry at a 4 year university. This is the email they sent me, "we accept 10 credit hours from community college for prereqs. we do not accept cc credit for human anatomy and biochemistry." So even if I took a couple of classes at cc such as Human Anatomy I should not apply?

So I emailed one of the dental schools since they said they do not take cc credit for human anatomy. I took Human anatomy, microbio, and physio at a community college and will take biochemistry at a 4 year university. This is the email they sent me, "we accept 10 credit hours from community college for prereqs. we do not accept cc credit for human anatomy and biochemistry." So even if I took a couple of classes at cc such as Human Anatomy I should not apply?

Most dental schools will not take CC credits for upper level science classes, some won't take any CC credits, most have a limit on how many they will take. If your school year is early enough that you can drop the class at the CC, I would. You don't have to have those classes taken before you apply, just have them before you enter dental school. If you are applying to schools that require Anatomy, etc., you will have to retake them at a 4 year school.

Last edited:
TAKE AS MANY SCIENCE CLASSES AS YOU CAN. Suck it up. It'll help you out so much in dental school if you make it that far.