Should I take Biochem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DielsAlder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be starting the medical school application process this summer. I already took one semester of biochemistry. I did well in it and found the material interesting, but this coming semester I have the option of taking both a public health course and another course in infectious disease. These courses would interfere with biochemistry, but I am considering taking them instead.

For schools which recommend/require biochemistry, would I be at a disadvantage in the application process for only taking a semester of biochemistry. My other coursework is pretty well rounded (biology major, psych minor, various electives thrown in there too).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I will be starting the medical school application process this summer. I already took one semester of biochemistry. I did well in it and found the material interesting, but this coming semester I have the option of taking both a public health course and another course in infectious disease. These courses would interfere with biochemistry, but I am considering taking them instead.

For schools which recommend/require biochemistry, would I be at a disadvantage in the application process for only taking a semester of biochemistry. My other coursework is pretty well rounded (biology major, psych minor, various electives thrown in there too).

One semester is enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem II was the most difficult class that I had in college. It was a great class, but it was very challenging. Just my two cents. I doubt that "Biochemistry II" is the same at every school, though...

I just checked the syllabus, basically covers biochem I material in much greater detail while introducing a lot of new concepts (lots of signal transduction pathways, fatty acid oxidation, etc) :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
I just checked the syllabus, basically covers biochem I material in much greater detail while introducing a lot of new concepts (lots of signal transduction pathways, fatty acid oxidation, etc) :eek:

Sounds like it's structured very similar to the one I took. The class was very challenging, but I really enjoyed it.