Should I take biochem or spanish before starting med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of school for over a year and am working full time. I'll be starting med school in fall 2003 (just received my first acceptance!). I'm thinking it would be a good idea to take a class this spring, to get myself back into the right mindset.

I've never taken biochemistry or spanish, but think that either would one be really useful.

If you were in my position, which one would you take, and why? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

biochem. You will have to take it in med school, and getting exposed now means less work later.

I am not yet in med school, but if you already have an acceptance, I would take the Spanish class. A basic understanding of an important lanugage that is spoken important in this country will help you more in the long run, than being a little ahead of the curve in biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a first year med student and let me tell you ...HANDS down i would take BIOCHEM! it'll help you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for your first year. And you dont even have to take it to really know it that well. just relax and take it for fun, get to know the terms, etc. Cuz once it starts, it's gonna hit you like a 100 MPH train!

peace

I'd definitely go with biochem for the same reasons posted -- especially if you're an older non-trad who has been out of the game for a bit (like I am). While the idea of picking up some Spanish is attractive, you won't learn much of anything in one class and you will lose what you did learn if you do not keep taking classes or use the language routinely. Your med school may offer a medical Spanish class that may be higher yield as well versus a straight intro class. Congrats on the acceptance.

Take both if you can. If I were you and I could only choose one, I would go with biochem. You could always take spanish during the summer after your first year, maybe not at your university or medical college, but it would definitely be possible to find a summer program somewhere.

Definetly BIOCHEM, it'll get you used to the words, mechanisms, enzymes, phrases, lingo,bla, bla,bla......

As far as spanish goes, when you start, see if there is a spanish interest group. One girl started one last year at my school and teaches some of us spanish as the year goes on.

But, take BIOCHEM!!!! Med school will teach it differently than the style that you will be taught, so any increased exposure is better.

Good luck next year and enjoy the rest of this one!;)

Espanol baby! If you rotate in hospitals that handle indigent patients, it is likely that you will have lots of spanish speaking patients. I sure as hades do... I hate fumbling with communication, and language line translators can be a pain in the arse.

If you can't do both "officially", how about taking the biochem class and purchasing an introductory Spanish book (with audio) to start learning on your own? You can also check out the link on Doctora Foxy's signature...

If you do take biochem, really try to learn the material as well as possible so you can retain it at least somewhat. Sounds obvious but it may be tough to stay motivated knowing you're already in med school. :)

definately take the spanish class! very useful and attractive to ALL residency programs!!

I didn't take biochem in undergrad and I'm doing fine......several of my friends took biochem and undergrad and say that it is not helping at all...........medical sdchool biochem is just so much more detailed and they focus on specific diseases and abnormalities a lot.

definately take the spanish!

later,

thanks for all of the helpful advice!

med students are awesome. i can't wait to be one of you! :)