Should I take Biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comoesa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a junior with a 2.9 gpa. Organic chemistry kicked my ass. I have pretty much taken all the of the required science classes for med school.

Should I just take the few (two) remaining science classes I have to take for my degree, and, like just work on building my overall gpa up do some outside activities? Or should I try to take other science classes and bring my science gpa up?

133449457677.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I'm a junior with a 2.9 gpa. Organic chemistry kicked my ass. I have pretty much taken all the of the required science classes for med school.

Should I just take the few (two) remaining science classes I have to take for my degree, and, like just work on building my overall gpa up do some outside activities? Or should I try to take other science classes and bring my science gpa up?

133449457677.jpg

all of the above. Improve your sGPA, your overall GPA, take the additional two classes after and then look into an SMP or post-bacc. Sorry man, I know that's not what you want to hear - There is hope, but you just have a lot of work ahead of you. Good Luck.

1. Make sure you really want to go to medical school. If you struggled through undergrad, med school is going to be a serious challenge. It may be worth considering other options.
2. If you are set on med school, then yes, do all of the above. If your gpa is a 2.9, you're going to have a hard time getting in anywhere, so that should be a big priority. Definitely take biochem (it's usually easier than OChem, yay!). Post-bacc is a great suggestion.