Should I take cellular molecular biology? (not required for pre-req)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missybitsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
The pharmacy school I'm applying to doesn't require cellular molecular biology. I already took general biology and I was wondering if I should take this class as an elective. Do you think it'll be helpful for pharmacy school? I don't want to risk taking it and it might lower my GPA only to realize I don't need it. Thanks so much for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
The pharmacy school I'm applying to doesn't require cellular molecular biology. I already took general biology and I was wondering if I should take this class as an elective. Do you think it'll be helpful for pharmacy school? I don't want to risk taking it and it might lower my GPA only to realize I don't need it. Thanks so much for the advice!

That is a very helpful class for pharmacy school as you will be taking biochemistry your first year I believe. Even if classes aren't required, it is still a good idea to challenge yourself in upper level science courses, and it will show them that you will be better prepared for the rigorous classes in pharm school. Im just starting my senior year and Ive already taken cell and molec, biochemistry, and physical chemistry along with all prereqs and taking more classes like analytical chemistry, immunology, and advanced inorganic chemistry which I think will help me stand out from others all while maintaining a good gpa. Having done well in challenging classes gives me confidence to know that I will succeed in pharm school. hope that helps and good luck!

That is a very helpful class for pharmacy school as you will be taking biochemistry your first year I believe. Even if classes aren't required, it is still a good idea to challenge yourself in upper level science courses, and it will show them that you will be better prepared for the rigorous classes in pharm school. Im just starting my senior year and Ive already taken cell and molec, biochemistry, and physical chemistry along with all prereqs and taking more classes like analytical chemistry, immunology, and advanced inorganic chemistry which I think will help me stand out from others all while maintaining a good gpa. Having done well in challenging classes gives me confidence to know that I will succeed in pharm school. hope that helps and good luck!

Immunology was an awesome class and perhaps one of my favorite biology classes. I'd recommend taking cell and molecular biology simply because it was a very informative class and its information was helpful towards other upper division biology-related classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a biochemist, I found that most of these upper level courses including the one you suggested made the biology section a joke (excluding the physiology portion of the BS).

I would advise you to only take "extra" courses, especially more difficult advanced courses, only if you are confident you can get a B+ or better. Otherwise, you're dragging down your GPA without good reason.