Should I take classes next semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating next week, and due to an unfortunate freshman year my cGPA will be at most a 3.32, and my sGPA will be around a 3.6. My mcat score is a 30. I have good ECs, and lors, will be applying as a URM and my instate is Texas.
I am trying to keep a positive attitude about my chances of getting in. But i understand that there is a real chance that I might not get in.
I calculated that with an additional 12 hours my cGPA can get into the 3.4 range, and with a full year (30 hours) I could almost reach a 3.5...assuming I get all As, but i have been doing so for the past year and a half, so I am confident I could do it.
I am applying this cycle. Should I wait and see how the application process goes? or should I start taking some classes starting next semester?
If I do get in and I take more classes, it will be a waste of money (that I dont have), but if I dont get in and I dont take more classes i will have wasted some valuable time to repair my GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, you should continue taking additional classwork, ideally some in the upper-level sciences. Sending in periodic updates on grades earned and classes taken might be what it will take to sway adcomms to interview or accept you. If worse comes to worst, you'll be in a stronger position a year from now if you need to reapply. If schools had been inclined to accept you anyway, the right choices in additional classwork would ease your way in med school so the first years are less stressful. Thus, the expense need not be "a waste" regardless.

I am graduating next week, and due to an unfortunate freshman year my cGPA will be at most a 3.32, and my sGPA will be around a 3.6. My mcat score is a 30. I have good ECs, and lors, will be applying as a URM and my instate is Texas.
I am trying to keep a positive attitude about my chances of getting in. But i understand that there is a real chance that I might not get in.
I calculated that with an additional 12 hours my cGPA can get into the 3.4 range, and with a full year (30 hours) I could almost reach a 3.5...assuming I get all As, but i have been doing so for the past year and a half, so I am confident I could do it.
I am applying this cycle. Should I wait and see how the application process goes? or should I start taking some classes starting next semester?
If I do get in and I take more classes, it will be a waste of money (that I dont have), but if I dont get in and I dont take more classes i will have wasted some valuable time to repair my GPA.
Take the additional 12 credit hours to get your cGPA to 3.4. As an URM, with 3.6 sGPA and 30 MCAT, you have a 90%+ to get an acceptance, though it might not be in Texas. You should apply to schools outside of Texas to increase you chances.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.