1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I take Gen Chem II this semester?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by PistonFan531, Jan 5, 2009.

1. PistonFan531

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I had some really bad semesters of gen chem I. I took it the first time and got a C and retook it and got a B. Then, this past fall semester, I took orgo I (I know this is weird, but at my school you must take orgo I before taking gen chem II). Anyways, I ended up with a B plus in orgo I.

My question to you guys is: do you think that I should take gen chem II before I apply to Pharmacy School? So I can show the Pharm Schools that I can actually handle general chemistry? Or did the B plus in orgo 1 already show significant improvement in chemistry?

Oh and also, is there a lot of gen chem II material on the PCAT? This may heavily weigh in on my decision also.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Frederico Albin

Frederico Albin Yes thats my bulldog :)
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Of course you should. Chem II is also a pre-req in most if not all pharmacy schools.

4. PistonFan531

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yea I know it's just that I was considering taking it AFTER I apply...

5. PistonFan531

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    And also, the reason why I was considering taking it after I apply is because my school (wayne state university) is known for its really difficult gen chem II professors. And I don't know if whether or not I want to risk that my gpa take any more blows at this point in the game.

6. ffpickle

ffpickle Thread Killer
    2+ Year Member

You do need GChem 2 for the PCAT. That may influence your decision.

7. pcproduct

10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You also need to take Organic Chem 2. I'm assuming that would come after Gen Chem 2. Wouldn't it be impossible for you to take both classes at the same time right after applying to Pharmacy schools?

8. PistonFan531

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Well I was planning on taking orgo II in fall 09 and gen chem II in winter 10

9. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I thought general chemistry series was a pre-req for Organic?

10. PistonFan531

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yea well as I said things are weird here at Wayne State. You only need gen chem I in order to register for Organic.

11. jackal head

jackal head Registered Sex Offender
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    if you don't have anything else major this semester, I'd take it if I were you

you really need to show them that you've overcome your weaknesses and are now really good at chem

but more important than that, it will prepare you for the PCAT, which is especually important if you have a lower GPA (avg is 3.70)

i remember i read somewhere (probably here), one guy had a 3.1 and got in cause he had a >90 PCAT

other schools might be fine with Bs in chemistry but even for those schools you need to have gen chem II

just my $.02