Aug 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm a junior Bio major, and have taken orgo 1, orgo 2 (both with lab) and biochem (without lab). I also work in a chemistry lab, if that's at all relevant. I took AP chemistry in high school and scored a 5 on the exam. I have taken no gen chem lectures or labs in undergrad. My understanding is that this will suffice for most schools, but I'm having a hard time finding a clear answer about whether this is going to exclude me from any programs. I don't have MSAR because I'm not applying for a couple more years. Thanks, and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere!

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't think this really requires a confidential response. Would you be OK if I move this to the regular forums? :)

Ultimately I think you are likely fine for most schools, but you should look at the specific pre-req requirements posted online for schools that you may know that you are going to be interested in.

Aug 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Sure, this doesn't need to be confidential.

Is it premature to start deciding on schools I'm interested in (besides in-state schools) without an MCAT score?

Also: even if it's stated that gen chem is required on their website, is there a general guideline for how hard these requirements are? I know it's probably school-specific, but would my background (good grades in subsequent chemistry classes and productive work in a chemistry lab) allow me to still be considered, or would my application be tossed out?

About the Ads

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Moving to pre-med.

I agree, there's no way to know what individual schools would do without asking them. The easiest thing may be simply taking gen chem at a community college over the summer and getting an easy A.

Aug 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Moving to pre-med.

I agree, there's no way to know what individual schools would do without asking them. The easiest thing may be simply taking gen chem at a community college over the summer and getting an easy A.
You’re gonna have to check with individual schools as they all have different requirements.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check with the schools I know I'm interested in and see what they say

Orims

7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It will be best if you reach out to each school you are interested in as ask. Some schools do not take AP credit, and some schools have a requirement for 1 year of Gen. Chem. I think requirements tend to be pretty set in stone. For example, not class related but one school I applied to had a requirement for a non-science professor letter of recommendation. I reached out to them and explained that it had been 7 years since I last took a non-science course in undergrad and they flat out told me that EVERYONE applying must have a non-science letter.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
1) You need to apply to the broadest array of medical schools and you cannot have a target list until you have MCAT
2) since most schools require gen chem and many schools have restrictions on use of AP, you should take Gen Chem
3) Here is a sample what schools says about AP
1) Some schools will allow some AP courses but not others

Example Weill Cornell Medical College http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html

Advanced Placement credit. AP credit from high school can be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement in physics. AP credit in other areas cannot be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement. If a student has AP credit in an area other than physics, the student fulfills the WCMC requirement by completing advanced science coursework.

2) Many schools will not accept them as full and complete fulfillment of prerequisites. Some do.

Example will NOT accept: Cooper Medical School of Rowan University http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/students/admissions/prerequisites.php

No AP/IB credits may be used in place of an actual course, even if the undergraduate institution grants a credit for the AP coursework. Upper level coursework in the same subject area may replace the listed prerequisite. (Note: All science courses used to satisfy a prerequisite must include a laboratory component, so online coursework will not be acceptable to substitute for hands-on lab credit).

Example Will Accept AP: NYMC https://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/PremedicalCourseworkRequirements.html

All courses offered in satisfaction of the premed requirements for admission must be taken at, or accepted as transfer credits by, an accredited college in the United States or Canada and must be acceptable to that institution toward a baccalaureate degree in arts or sciences. (This includes Advanced Placement courses taken in high school.)

3) Many schools will accept the fulfillment of the course (ie general bio, general chem) but not the credits as counting towards 2 years of Bio, 2 years of Chem and therefore require additional upper level coursework.

4) Many "recommend" additional course to be competitive

Example: SUNY Upstate (http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php)

"Yes, as long as you were awarded college credit and the course(s) are listed on an official transcript from your primary undergraduate institution. The Admissions Committee recommends that you also complete advanced science coursework in order to be competitive for admission."

Example: SUNY Downstate Admissions Requirements

Do we accept AP credits for our prerequisites?

If your undergraduate college has awarded you AP credits and the credits are listed on your transcript, we will also accept your AP credits to fulfill our prerequisites if the course is listed by subject title on your final official college transcript. However, in order for the Admissions Committee to consider you to be competitive for admission, you should take advanced level science course work equivalent to the number of credit hours which have been accepted for AP prerequisites.

Aug 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
1) You need to apply to the broadest array of medical schools and you cannot have a target list until you have MCAT
2) since most schools require gen chem and many schools have restrictions on use of AP, you should take Gen Chem
3) Here is a sample what schools says about AP
1) Some schools will allow some AP courses but not others

Example Weill Cornell Medical College http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html

Advanced Placement credit. AP credit from high school can be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement in physics. AP credit in other areas cannot be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement. If a student has AP credit in an area other than physics, the student fulfills the WCMC requirement by completing advanced science coursework.

2) Many schools will not accept them as full and complete fulfillment of prerequisites. Some do.

Example will NOT accept: Cooper Medical School of Rowan University http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/students/admissions/prerequisites.php

No AP/IB credits may be used in place of an actual course, even if the undergraduate institution grants a credit for the AP coursework. Upper level coursework in the same subject area may replace the listed prerequisite. (Note: All science courses used to satisfy a prerequisite must include a laboratory component, so online coursework will not be acceptable to substitute for hands-on lab credit).

Example Will Accept AP: NYMC https://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/PremedicalCourseworkRequirements.html

All courses offered in satisfaction of the premed requirements for admission must be taken at, or accepted as transfer credits by, an accredited college in the United States or Canada and must be acceptable to that institution toward a baccalaureate degree in arts or sciences. (This includes Advanced Placement courses taken in high school.)

3) Many schools will accept the fulfillment of the course (ie general bio, general chem) but not the credits as counting towards 2 years of Bio, 2 years of Chem and therefore require additional upper level coursework.

4) Many "recommend" additional course to be competitive

Example: SUNY Upstate (Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University)

"Yes, as long as you were awarded college credit and the course(s) are listed on an official transcript from your primary undergraduate institution. The Admissions Committee recommends that you also complete advanced science coursework in order to be competitive for admission."

Example: SUNY Downstate Admissions Requirements

Do we accept AP credits for our prerequisites?

If your undergraduate college has awarded you AP credits and the credits are listed on your transcript, we will also accept your AP credits to fulfill our prerequisites if the course is listed by subject title on your final official college transcript. However, in order for the Admissions Committee to consider you to be competitive for admission, you should take advanced level science course work equivalent to the number of credit hours which have been accepted for AP prerequisites.
Thanks for the detailed response! I agree that it's probably premature to start making a school list without an MCAT score. I'll go ahead and fit gen chem into my schedule somewhere just to be safe

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Not sure if this will be helpful for you. I am a chemistry major and skipped general chemistry. No school asks me anything about general chemistry as I use upper level chemistry classes with lab as substitutes. (But check with individual schools to see if this is indeed allowed) If you already took orgo, general chemistry might be too easy and a waste of time and tuitions. You could take upper level classes if you want to. But I guess taking general chemistry still works and can be GPA boosters.

rx001

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My sister in the same situation, She took AP CHEM got a 5. she is a biochem major. she was exempted from taking CHEM 1 and she completed CHEM 2, ORGO 1, orgo 2, biochem 1, biochem 2 and physical chem 1 in college. In addition to these she has one more lab course in biochem which is a 3 credit(lots of lab hours ) course. Our assumption was that as long as you have advanced level classes in the same subject we should be ok. Going by that assumption, she has 2 extra chem courses 1 in biochem and 1 in physical chem. Do you see a problem here.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.