Medical Should I take genetics post-bacc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to MD and DO schools this cycle and taking a gap year (cGPA 3.80, sGPA 3.74, MCAT 504). I never had time to take genetics or microbio in undergrad. Many med schools say state right on the admissions page "Strong consideration should be given to students who enroll and complete molecular biology, genetics, and/or microbiology." Should I take genetics at my community college during my gap year? How much will it hinder me that I don't have one of these "highly recommended" courses?
The MCAT will more likely be a hindrance, but I firmly believe that Biochem and Genetics should be pre-reqs for med school. So yes, take the course.

And when a med schools tells you something is highly recommended, what do you think they mean?????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Totally agree. Genetics, microbiology, and biochemistry should all be prerequisite courses for medical school.

Although we blew through an entire semester of genetics in about 2 weeks of med school, having a strong foundation in these courses would have made things a ton easier.

Take the course.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.