Should I Take Introductory to Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bottlecap1990

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school senior who will be completing my prerequisites for pharmacy school at a local community college. Right now, I am taking General Chemistry (NOT AP CHEMISTRY) but it seems like I am not learning much. My teacher doesn't go in great detail and all she does is teach us how to do the problem without FULLY understanding the material. She also lets us use our calculator which makes me feel like there is no math involved. I have also heard that students who were in AP chemistry during their high school year still struggles with general chemistry I in college. My question is that do you think I should take introductory to chemistry first before stepping into General Chemistry I?. I am in pre-calculus and doing extremely well right now so Algebra isn't a big issue for me.
What do you guys suggest?. Please also take into consideration that I'd really like to Get A's in my chemistry classes. IF taking introductory classes will HELP me fulfill that, I don't have a problem spending a few more semesters.

Members don't see this ad.

That seems like a waste of time. I took Honors Chemistry in high school and made a B. By the time I made it to college, I had forgotten almost everything anyway. I still did great in General Chemistry I though. Go for General Chemistry I, and you'll do just fine if you put in the required amount of studying.

I agree it would be a waste of your time. I was in a similar situation as you with my h.s. chemistry being totally worthless and learning anything. I had no problem keeping up with the material in gen chem and got As in both semesters in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like your attitude, Bottlecap, and it would behoove many SDNers to take a page from your book.

I agree with Fenix and Pcp, with your academic record (And your excellence in Calculus, as you mentioned), an actual "intro" course "not designed for science majors" is probably going to be a waste of a semester for you, as even though your instructor is not currently helping you understand fully why something is the way it is, you've got more than enough rudimentary knowledge to sustain in the beginning of a "real" General Chem series class.

Bottom line, though, is only YOU know if you're ready for a Gen. Chem. class. How about auditing a few lectures or a lab (My current institution allows one audit of a Lab for 30 minutes in the first 14 days of school, maybe yours does too?) to see if the General material is flying over your head? (I doubt it).

As far as your peers who are taking AP Chemistry but doing poorly in the college version of the course, perhaps there is an environmental issue at work and it's independent of their scholastic prowess (or lack thereof)?

There's plenty of time to learn G-chem from the ground up in a regular semester without having to wear floaties in Intro first.

I learned nothing in high school honors chemistry and my teacher didn't teach us much of anything.

I came to college chemistry with people who already had a good knowledgeof chemistry as well as others who were more on my level. I got A's in the classes and always had one of the best test scores.

Its about 2 things.

1) Hard Work
2) Picking the teacher who grades the easiest :eek::cool::D

Thank you very much for the advice guys. I think I am just going to go straight and take General Chemistry 1.

Wish me Luck.

I would also recommend to the OP to not expect the professors to teach everything. You have to teach yourself in college.