1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I take it yet?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by kemperd, Jan 7, 2009.

1. kemperd

Pre-Medical
    Greetings,
    I have a few questions to ask I am currently begging someone answer! I just hit Junior status at Columbia College in Columbia, MO and have a 3.7+ GPA and have been on the Dean's List for over a year. I currently work at UMC Hospital as a Unit Clerk full time (40+ hours) and attend school full time as well. I have been a Clerk for 3.5+ years and have many of the doctor's chearing me on. I'm really nervous I was never a good student in High School and now I have this crazy dream of being a doctor! J

I have completed 100+ Anesthesia shadowing hours with head of Anesthesiology who will be writing a letter of recommendation for me. I have my CPR certification and have taken some NST classes as well to identify different symptoms in laboring patterns on Labor and Delivery. I have also worked 2+ years in a laboratory as a Processing Tech as well.

I have completed all of the pre-medical requirements except for the (***missing***) courses for MIZZOU Medical School in Missouri and have high hopes of attending their school so I do not have to move.

Required college course work includes:
    • English composition or writing intensive, 2 semesters
    • College-level mathematics (college algebra or above), 1 semester
    • General biology with lab, 8 hours
    • General chemistry with lab, 8 hours
    • Organic chemistry with lab, 8 hours (***missing***)
    • General physics with lab, 8 hours (***missing***)
    I currently have a small problem however. My next 8 week semester I will be taking Ethics and Biology 112 (which is required since it's not been offered in the evening for almost 2 years and I need it to advance onto Microbiology). The exam that is available in my area this year that I could take would be May 28th, 2009.

However I have a slight problem – I have yet to take Organic Chemistry or General Physics. What are the chances of doing well on my MCAT? Here is how I will study: I purchased the MCAT Premier Program 2008-2009 edition, and MCAT Practice Tests 6th edition.

I know that I lack those 2 subjects but I was just wondering: do I take it now with the lack of those 2 subjects (it's impossible to change my current 8 week semester) and then by the time I sign up for the next semester it will be about a month or so away until I take the exam so it wouldn't be quite possible to finish the class (Organic Chemistry or Physics) before then.

I can either just give up on taking it this year or wait until next May, 2010 (which I fear in a way) because I really had high intentions of entering Medical School as soon as my current degree was done to avoid paying on student loans. Or I can study my tail off with these 2 books while at work and in between 8 week semesters I will study 2 weeks solid and continue to just study in spare time.

One of my good friends whom is a 3rd year OB/GYN resident told me it's doable, but she would rather I wait until I at least have Physics under my belt since I'm good with mathematics. But she said it's possible the courses and books cover the required basic information of the subject so it's possible if you study the material in the KAPLAN book to possibly do decent enough to get in. Plus she said my experience and what not will really give me an extra nudge, thoughts?! Don't hold back I'd really like to hear what you have to say… Thanks and I look forward to the replies!

D. Kemper

2. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't take this exam without Physics. If you end up with five Physics passages on the PS section (which is entirely likely), you'll be screwed. Just wait until you finish the pre-requisites.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't take it. You need O-chem and Physics.

4. kemperd

Pre-Medical
    Alright I will wait it seems, a break from school won't be so bad I guess...