Medical Should I take MCAT after Freshman year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to the pandemic summer plans have been halted. I was wondering if preparing for the MCAT would be a good idea to take advantage of the "dead" summer. I've completed every nearly pre-req besides Biochem/Physics II, but have self-studied Biochem during the year via Principles of Biochem + the EdX program. Taking one of Alitus' COVID timed exams, I scored a 512, which I think could be improved if I studied further.

I know there's an expiration date for the test (2 - 3 years) and I'll probably apply at the end of my junior year. Is this a good idea -- will med schools 2 years later accept the COVID version? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated

I'm a little confused by your post. Stating freshman year implies first year. How do you have bio 1/2, chem 1/2, and orgo 1/2 already unless they were taken during high school or something? Having that many credits plus the possibility of even 2-4 other courses having been taken would effectively make you a sophomore by credits. It's just not clarified to just wanting to have a better understanding of where you are.

As long as you have a score that is valid before an individual school's expiration date, then you'll be fine.

However, medical school is competitive for everyone. There is no guarantee you get in. If you're not even planning to apply for presumably 2 more years, I'd suggest waiting until you're at least closer to build in that buffer just in case as you're not pressed for time now.

Your plan to study this summer would be a good one if you plan to take it this fall or winter. If you plan to take it after that, then I feel it would be too early to start as you may burn out from studying for so long and constant on top of school work.

Members don't see this ad.

There's an expiration date that varies among schools regarding an "active" MCAT score, but all attempts since practical beginning of time will be included. So if you decide to take the MCAT on a whim and score a 480, then take the MCAT five years later and get a 520, BOTH scores will still show up, even though they may use the 520 to screen you in. Now this is certainly an exaggeration, but it is a warning that the MCAT is going to be part of your proverbial permanent file.

And when Life throws you a curve ball, and you have to delay applying, or you have to take a gap year because your academics or ECs are lacking, then you'll have to retake the MCAT.

Take the MCAT when you're JR. In the mean time, learn a new skill, like a foreign language, or work on the ECs.

Have you met your prehealth advisor or more senior prehealth students? I think you're rushing and not enjoying the undergraduate experience. Unless you are a high achiever gunning for a Rhodes Scholarship (and even if you were), it doesn't appear that you really appreciate what you have and the time you have for yourself. I understand the impatience of youth and immaturity, but why do you feel you need to get into medical school so quickly? Didn't you get into any early admission/guaranteed admissions programs? Why not?

Your questions make you sound very ill-informed and not prepared for what it really means to care for others.

I have met with my prehealth advisor and older prehealth students and they expressed the sentiment that it's definitely a marathon and not a sprint -- something I definitely understand. Medicine and caring for others is something I know I'm passionate about through numerous experiences and I wish to someday wake up and have that privilege. It's not like I'm totally disregarding my entire life just to get into med school -- I'm enjoying my undergrad exp, my own hobbies, the relationships that I've built -- I find that it's a bit of an unfair assumption to say that I don't.

To answer your other questions, while I did get into early admission programs they were tens of thousands of dollars more per year than my other options making it less financially feasible. I'm not in a rush -- I'm curious if it's an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.