Should I take MCAT again??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tarpley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for the this upcoming year (class starting in 2008)...my mcat scores aren't that great.. my stats:
Gpa: 3.74
Mcat 1st: 280 (V:10, P:9, B:9)
Mcat 2nd: 260 (v:9, P:7, B:10)

how bad does this look that it went down??
Also, I took both of these mcats last year on the PAper version... I haven't studied in a LONG time and have absolutely no practice with the computer version (why..why.. did they change it!! :(

I applied EDP to a school this year... i'm afraid I won't get in.... so for when I start applying broadly after Oct. 1st..(although I know it is really late)..
should I take the mcat again for this coming up year? (do they have any in december) If so, when and what is the best way to study for the computer exam.. and improve my score??

I don't know what to do!! I already waited one year.don't want to wait again. I really want to get in 2008... what can I do now??

Members don't see this ad.

It's not good that the score went down. When you took it the second time, did you study for it? If you did, did you change your study habits from the first test? I wouldn't recommend taking it a third time unless you can determine what caused your scores the first two times.

The computer version might also be better for you, because it's shorter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm willing to give it my all.. but since I never took the test on a computer format (or practiced for it before this way).. I don't know if it will hurt or help... but I am willing to study.. but is there time for this coming up year 2008?

the 2nd time was a personal crisis.. basically my grandma had a stroke.. my mom left to go take care of her.. i was left juggling my summer classes, retaking mcats, living at home and taking care of my two younger brothers since my dad worked.... it was unexpected and i know i didn't focus.. but know with the new computer format.. i don't know..

I'm willing to give it my all.. but since I never took the test on a computer format (or practiced for it before this way).. I don't know if it will hurt or help... but I am willing to study.. but is there time for this coming up year 2008?
I'm not saying you should or shouldnt take the mcat again (bc I havent the slightest clue), but I really dont think there is time if you want to matriculate fall '08. With low stats you really need the benefit of applying early in the process (i.e. now, or, better yet, 2 months ago), so it wouldnt be prudent to apply much later with the hopes of being accepted this cycle.

The goal here is to get into medical school. There is no shame in taking another year off to help you reach your goal.

I think that applying EDP was a mistake. At this point, if you do not get into the EDP I think your only real option is to wait another year. Spend that year studying for your MCAT and get a 30+ on it.

If you apply late with such low stats, you will likely be rejected. It'll be a waste of money and it'll make you a re-applicant at those schools. Instead, spend your time to bolster your application and ace the MCAT.

Retaking the MCAT in hopes of applying in October is just a bad idea all around. It will not give you sufficient time to study for the MCAT, and you don't want to screw up again. Retaking the MCAT the 2nd time when you were not ready was a mistake, do not make that same mistake again by retaking it now when you're not ready.

Hope for the best on your EDP. If you do not get in, invest your time studying the MCAT, and take the test next spring and ACE IT. Then apply as a regular applicant and do so broadly.

I agree with previous posters - it's pretty likely that you're not going to score much above a 28 even if you study your butt off between now and a September test (and many schools won't even accept September). I would wait a year. Volunteer or do some clinical/research related work, and study hard for the MCAT. Very hard.. unless you think you've studied as hard as you can and can't improve any. If that's the case, apply as early as possible next cycle and good luck to you.

The goal here is to get into medical school. There is no shame in taking another year off to help you reach your goal.

I think that applying EDP was a mistake. At this point, if you do not get into the EDP I think your only real option is to wait another year. Spend that year studying for your MCAT and get a 30+ on it.

If you apply late with such low stats, you will likely be rejected. It'll be a waste of money and it'll make you a re-applicant at those schools. Instead, spend your time to bolster your application and ace the MCAT.

Retaking the MCAT in hopes of applying in October is just a bad idea all around. It will not give you sufficient time to study for the MCAT, and you don't want to screw up again. Retaking the MCAT the 2nd time when you were not ready was a mistake, do not make that same mistake again by retaking it now when you're not ready.

Hope for the best on your EDP. If you do not get in, invest your time studying the MCAT, and take the test next spring and ACE IT. Then apply as a regular applicant and do so broadly.

the fact that your score went down is a BAD thing for med school admission..so i would recommend you to do everything you can to get accepted to the school you did EDP (sending letter of interest, updates, additional rec. letter..stuff like that). if you don't get accepted, there isn't that much you can do...you can apply to the schools that will take your highest score for each section. other than that, you might consider to take the cbt mcat in april-may next year and apply really really early.

I agree w/ the posters above. A lower score teh 2nd time doesn't look good. You should take it again, but not until next april/may when you feel you are definitely ready. It's ok to take an extra year b/c not only will it help your mcat scores but also you'll have an opportunity to get some great EC's if needed. The only thing that can happen is that you'll be a better applicant and able to get in your app really early. If you apply to more schools in sept and don't get in, you'll be a re-applicant, putting you at a disadvantage already for next year.

There is an entire MCAT forum on SDN, you can definitely get a bunch of help over there.