Should I take more DIY Post-Bacc Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKingfish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently deciding whether or not to take more classes for a DIY post-bacc. I graduated in the spring of 2020 from a highly ranked liberal arts school in the midwest as a neuroscience and history double major. My earlier years of college lacked motivation and academic ambition for a variety of reasons. Thankfully, I had an internal reckoning (inspired after reading some of @Goro 's posts) during my junior year and began to take things much more seriously. I ended up graduating with my GPA at 3.47/3.3s (Upward trend. I had a 3.0 freshman year, 3.91 senior year) I decided to take the DIY post-bacc route upon graduating, so between the summer and overloading this last semester, I took 24 credit hours of 300 and 400 level Biology and Chemistry classes(physiology, biochemistry, Microbiology, etc.) at my state school and got a 4.0 in them. The last round of classes now brings my GPA to 3.57/3.54s.

I am taking the MCAT in late March, and I have been vigorously studying over break. Should I still take more classes this semester to prove my academic ability and raise my GPA, or should I focus totally on the MCAT? Without getting too detailed in this post, I also have about 800 clinical volunteer hours and 500 non-clinical( plus leadership, college athlete and other ECs) If I decide that I have extra time outside of MCAT studying, would I be better served by trying to take an extra class or volunteering more?

Thank you in advance for reading this post!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a very similar trajectory, and my grades after postbacc were lower than yours. I studied like a monster for the MCAT and scored a 520, which I firmly believe got me past any "number screens" at most schools.

I got an excellent school list from @Goro and @Faha et al, and ended up with 6 As. Focus on crushing that MCAT and you will be good to go.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users