Should I take my chances or do a SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadingcading

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry..I know, not another one of these threads. I also just got my MCAT score back 26 total (7PS, 8VR, 11BS) :(. Both my undergrad science and total GPAs are between 3.7-3.8. I am an older student (in my 30s) working on a masters degree (non-science field) and have a lot of clinical experience through the work that I do.

I have been doing a lot of research and would like to go into a DO program because I think it would be a better fit with my interests. Do you think I have a chance if I apply early in the cycle or should I go ahead and apply for a SMP possibly with linkage? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need an SMP and your chances are good.

Reactions: 1 users
I am reading that some schools will only take a 8/8/8 so I am worried about my PS score

Members don't see this ad :)
If 3.7-3.8 is your raw GPA then your scores are fine for most programs. If you apply to a good selection of schools you will get admitted somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, OP! I applied to DO schools this cycle with similar stats - 3.8/27 (7/10/10). I was initially very concerned about my chances with the 7 as well, since as you said, some schools claim to prefer 8+ in every section. In the end, I had 13 interview invites and was accepted at every school whose interview I attended. You definitely don't need an SMP (it won't help; your grades are already above average for every DO school in the country) and I think your chances are excellent. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Apply broadly and you'll be fine. Skip AZCOM, the CA and NY Touros, CCOM and KCUMB.

Sorry..I know, not another one of these threads. I also just got my MCAT score back 26 total (7PS, 8VR, 11BS) :(. Both my undergrad science and total GPAs are between 3.7-3.8. I am an older student (in my 30s) working on a masters degree (non-science field) and have a lot of clinical experience through the work that I do.

I have been doing a lot of research and would like to go into a DO program because I think it would be a better fit with my interests. Do you think I have a chance if I apply early in the cycle or should I go ahead and apply for a SMP possibly with linkage? TIA!

Apply broadly and you'll be fine. Skip AZCOM, the CA and NY Touros, CCOM and KCUMB.
Why skip KCUMB? I got in with a 26 and I know other people who did as well this cycle. Granted it was quite early in the cycle

KCUMB may actually be fine. I got in with similar scores and I know a few who did too.

A 3.7/26 with a good BS score will probably get you into a mid range school without any major issue pending a decent net of schools. This especially becomes true if you have a DO lor and adequate shadowing experience.

I highly recommend applying to maybe 10 schools like LMU, VCOM, LECOM, PNWU, etc. And then 5+ schools like KCUMB, OUCOM, Rowan, etc.