should I take my may 8th mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immolard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've already taken this test once and scored a 12/9/11 on it a couple of years ago. my score is expiring so im taking it again. ive scored:

12 9 13 aamc 3
12 11 12 aamc 4
13 9 13 aamc 5
today i took aamc 7 and got a 14 7 14

the 7 in verbal worries me. i had trouble with this section during the first run through studying for this test. should i go ahead and take the test on the 8th and chance getting <9 verbal on the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

over 5 exams you average a 9 on verbal with a standard deviation of 1.26. So, if you maintain your current level of focus and skill, chances are you won't score another 7. Grinding verbal for the next week and a half will most likely allow you to stabalize that score to being a more solid 9. Would you be happy with that? Are you confident in your verbal skills? Is your success on PS/BS attributed to recent study and preparation? Will postponing your test to improve your verbal come at the cost of lower science scores? Keep in mind, it is much more difficult to raise your VR score than your PS/BS scores. So a month may only help you slightly?

Me, I'd chalk that 7 up to being an anomaly and go with May 8th. Your science scores are at an amazing level, so even if you get a 12/12/9 (Low End science + avg verbal) you're at a 33, nothing to scoff at.

A 9 in verbal isn't bad. It's not gonna make anyone say WOOOOOOWWWWWWWW. But very few schools will dismiss you because of it.

the rush is that the Texas app opens may 1st.

Yes I'm ok with a 9. I'd be pretty ecstatic with a 9. I'm not super confident about verbal because of my track record several years ago and now because of this 7. I don't want an outlier on the real thing. I've been doing better because I've gotten used to the format of the aamcs I think. I haven't gone over science in awhile so I don't think that postponing will drop my science scores. And thanks for the useful response.

What's your goal? An upper tier MD? If so, ya I'd delay till you could score consistently at a 9-10 on VR.

You're right, it would suck getting a 7 in VR, but unfortunately no one will know what you'll get if you end up taking it May 8th.