Should I take my MCAT after second year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Somethingmore, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somethingmore

Somethingmore Inexperienced Sophomore

Pre-Medical
    Hi there,

I just finished my first year of University, and I'm heading into a Biology and Physics program next year (but I will still be taking orgo). My first year GPA was around 3.1, but I really slacked off and skipped A LOT of classes, and I know that if I put a stronger effort next year I can pull of a 3.7 or higher. Assuming I pull up my GPA, is it worth taking my MCAT after second year? Here's what I see as the pro and con of such a choice:

Pro:
    - If I don't do well, I can take it again after third year and still go straight to medical school after finishing my undergrad. This is better as compared to taking it a second time after 4th year and doing nothing useful for the year after my degree is completed, just waiting for med schools to make their decision.

Con:
    - The way my degree is planned out, I will have to take Cell Biology and Comparative Animal Physiology in my third year. If I take my MCAT after second year, I will have to study this stuff with MCAT prep resources and WITHOUT previous course background. It's a lot easier to review content than learn it from scratch. And looking at my sis' MCAT prep materials, it seems that cell biology and physiology make up a lot of the content covered on the MCAT.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    you double-posted!

4. Somethingmore

Somethingmore Inexperienced Sophomore

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, sorry... how do you delete this post?

5. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I would take it after junior year.

Mod please move to MCAT forum.

6. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Closing this thread as it is crossposted in MCAT Discussions. Users wishing to respond to the OP may do so over there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.