Should I take Orgo in the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdan83

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my story. I'm currently in school completing my degree and my pre-req requirements. I am finishing an accounting degree as I would rather have that as my plan B should something go wrong with my plans to go to med school.

I will complete four business courses by this August and I calculated that I can graduate with a BS in accounting as well as complete my pre-req's by the spring of 2013.

Now to graduate by 2013, I want to take Orgo during the summer of 2012.

Will the adcomms look down on me for taking Orgo during a summer session or will they admire my choice to construct an academic plan which will allow me to graduate as soon as possible.

I mean I could always take Orgo during the 2012 year but I will take physics and genetics during 2012 so I figured that getting Orgo out of the way during the summer would be the smart move since I have no plans for the summer. (I will be taking all the classes at a four year state university, not a CC.)

Do you think I should take Orgo in the summer considering my plans or do adcomms frown on pre-req's in the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO there is nothing wrong with taking Orgo in the summer from med school point of view. It is a lot of work but if that is your main priority during summer you should be fine. I spent on average 10 hours out of class studying or working on the lab so you might expect double - but it varies from person to person and what teacher you have.
The downside of finishing all the pre-recs in such a short amount of time at the end of the degree is that you need those classes to take the Mcat. You will need to take the Mcat before you apply and you will want to apply early.

I'm just curious when you planned on taking the Mcat then what application season you would be applying in.

I'm just curious when you planned on taking the Mcat then what application season you would be applying in.[/QUOTE]

I am actually going back to school at 28. I have been out of school for about five years and my previous record is real sketchy with some F's. I have a feeling that after I am done with my degree what will probably happen is that I will either have to work as an accountant for a year or so while completing an MBS program or I will have to enter an MBS program right after graduation so that I can demonstrate that I am able to handle the science load in medical school.

I have no problem taking the MCAT during the 2013 school year and then applying next cycle. I have no science background right now and I don't want to rush anything. I don't think it will be possible to take the MCAT during 2012 and then apply in June 2012 for 2013 admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a big fan of having students taking MCAT in the summer. While there still may be a minor negative by some adcoms, it is simply a tremendous amount of work. This may be particularly true for nontrads who often have work and family obligations. You are taking essentially 15 weeks of school in 5 weeks. Trying to take that say 4 afternoons a week and then lab 3 mornings a week, you can see how you can be overwhelmed.

This effect often cascades with students (though I don't think you fit in this group). who want to take organic in the summer so they can take an august MCAT and apply late in the cycle. That is a very tenuous chain that leaves little time for study and application prep and does not typically make the strongest applicant

I agree. I took OChem I in the summer, got an A and learned nothing.

I'm taking Organic 1 & 2 this summer. Tomorrow is my O-Chem 1 Final. I actually appreciate the abbreviated schedule because my brain works better when I cram information in 6 weeks rather than having to remember as far back as 3 months ago.

Also because of the abbreviated schedule, our professor is only testing us on what is covered in lectures.