This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1070731

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making my four year plan right now as chemical engineering major with a minor in biology as I finish up my first semester. My degree plan requires I take physics 1 and 2 with lab, but the only space I have is during the summer. I've seen some negative attitude toward cc classes, but if its cheaper there should I just take it?
That depends on how much more you value the money you will be saving over how much your application will be hurt at the schools that don't like CC prereqs. If you app is strong enough to overcome that bias, or if you won't be applying to any such schools, then there is no reason not to do it. Otherwise, given how much money you are going to be spending before you receive a medical degree, how important are those particular dollars?? It's impossible to believe you are not going to be able to find any time in the next 7 semesters, not including summers, to take 2 physics classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe they’re prequisites for my higher level courses, and I’m already having 16-18 credit hours every semester which put me in a tough position.
Really? If they are prereqs, how is it that you cannot fit them into your schedule? You must be taking SOMETHING out of sequence. Physics is certainly not a prereq for anything in a biology minor.

It's for cheme, but the way my school's degree is set up is you have to take at lease one or two courses in the summer or you won't be able to graduate in four years.
Summer is one thing, CC is another! Students don't like summer because the classes are compressed, but if that's what you have to do to conform to the way your school sequences the classes, then you don't really have a choice. Taking the classes at CC is another thing altogether.

Your desire to save money is understandable. So is the med schools' desire to see how you do at a 4 year school, where the level of instruction and grading will presumably be more challenging. At the end of the day, if you wind up with a 4.0 cGPA, no one will care. If not, some schools will definitely hold CC classes against you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @KnightDoc and also coming from the perspective of an engineering student, it would be extremely strange to take something as core to our degree as Physics at a CC

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard that most medical schools will accept pre reqs taken at CC but frown upon them. It's highly preferred to take them at any 4 year institution