Should I take physics now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genecks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note ahead of time: Please only people who have already taken a year of physics read and respond to this.

Hey folks,

I'm about to graduate with a B.S. in Neuroscience from UIC.

We aren't required to take any physics classes for the B.S. in Neuroscience, but I've been thinking about going to medical school as of late, because I've considered the reality of a Ph.D program and Ph.D prospects are not satisfying enough for me. I rather help people, make money, and do biomedical research than just do research and be underpaid with job instability. Simply said, I want to be paid well to do what I love (Biology/health).

I need to take a year of physics to be accepted to medical school (I would take college algebra based, as pre-calculus is currently my highest math).

However, at the public uni in Chicago I'm at, I've been told constantly not to take physics here, because the grading curve is low (avg ~ 40 to 50%), because the teaching assistants are unhelpful, and because the general competitive nature of the course can give an individual a bad grade. Graduate students that I'm friends with have told me not to take it. 3.5+ GPA students have suggested I don't take it.

People who have done well in the course have told me that they have taken physics in high school or a community college (forced to retake at uni). That makes me considered why the course may be abnormally difficult (people come into the class with prior physics knowledge).

Personally, if there is a high chance of me getting a C, I'm not interested in taking the course. That's too much of a liability of me, and fixing that C (as I have a 3.5+/4.0 GPA already after about 4.5 years of college/uni) would take too much time and money. I'm on grants, which pay for all of my tuition; but I don't feel like taking the time to fix a poor grade.

I have a very good work ethic. The hardest class I've taken was organic II, so I know what it feels like to pour 40 hours a week into a class with a lack of sleep. But people still tell me that Physics I and II is harder than Organic II. If that's really the case, I'm very much not interested in taking the course if I am ill-prepared.

I have 132 credit hours and a 3.54 GPA. Getting a C in a 5-credit class (Physics I or Physics II) would just make things really chaotic, as I attempt to obtain a 3.6 GPA. At the moment, I need 20-credit hours (about 7 classes) of A grades. I could take a complete year of easy classes, but I suspect that would be frowned upon by an admissions committee.

I'm graduating this semester, but I'm considering taking the year's worth, thus also keeping me in school until Spring 2012.

I think I'm better off not taking the class, studying physics I and II on my own during the spring and summer of 2012, taking university physics (fall 2012) after studying and preparing, and then getting a good grade. I've also considered taking the course at a community college to save money.

I'm good at math. I'll admit that. I was put into gifted school at a young age, because I'm good at math. But it's not my interest. And my skills have somewhat dulled down in the past few years, but I still do a good job of visualizing mathematical ideas in my mind's eye.

I'm almost 25, getting older, and am really starting to dislike wasting my time. But as my goal is medical school, the prospects are great, and it's something I wouldn't mind doing for a life-time, I suspect waiting a year or two to get into medical school is not such a bad deal.

And as a final note, I have a roommate who is a Ph.D physics student (just came in from Boston). I don't know if I should ask him if he would be willing to help tutor me (as I believe new Ph.D students will have a lot to deal with on their own during the first year).

Otherwise, I plan on getting my B.S. in Neuroscience, moving back home (away from Chicago), and then taking physics later on at a community college or nearby uni.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I'd give as much detail as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

People also come into bio and chem often having taken the AP counterparts in high school. How did you fare in those classes?

If you don't want to take it at your current school, why not take it over the summer at a different college? I just finished physics at a community college and received good grades for both physics I and II.

People also come into bio and chem often having taken the AP counterparts in high school. How did you fare in those classes?

I got As in bio at community college. Got Bs for first-year biology at the uni. Got As in upper-level biology in the uni. My starting problem at uni was understanding getting used to the exam format, which sharply contrasted with my previous school. The second-semester bios 101 course I took was awful, and the professor barely wanted to help students figure out how to study. The TAs were jerks then but seem to respect me when I show up at seminars now.

Simply said, I've got a grasp on issues now. My study habits also weren't great coming into UIC. But now I consider them really good. The next best thing I can do is stop taking showers and eat energy bars all the time. Pfft.

If you don't want to take it at your current school, why not take it over the summer at a different college? I just finished physics at a community college and received good grades for both physics I and II.

I'm from Rockford. Schools in and near my hometown do not offer Physics I and II other than in a sequential Fall/Spring series. NIU for example has only a Fall/Spring system. The local community colleges, also. UIC and I think Morton College (chicago comm. college) offers Physics I and II whenever. Well, Chicago has a lot more schools, of course.

After I graduate, I plan on going back home and saving cash. It has been recommended to me that I take on debt, don't go back home because there are a serious lack of opportunities, and stay in Chicago. A couple graduate students (Ph.D students) have told me to ignore this BS and just go to graduate school.

What do I think? Well, Rockford sucks, was top 10 unemployment in US a while back, and is a social trap. I think I would fare much better breaking even (job and paying for schooling or something) than going back to Rockford (which seems like will ultimately waste my time and efforts). I think I have a better chance of finding shadowing and volunteer experiences in Chicago.

I'm signed up for Physics I right now at UIC. However, I am considering to drop it, get my degree, and just leave the area.

Answer: Money is the issue. It costs me about 7000 USD to be in Chicago a year (I pay rent/utils/food).

I'm honestly not interested in staying at UIC past the spring semester, because I wouldn't not find it rewarding except to increase my GPA while attempting to get into medical school.

I think getting into graduate school would be easy, though, as I'm quite innovative with my thoughts and think like a scientist. I'm not worried about the possibility of graduate school if medical does not work out within a three-year (at most) period.

As I know I need to take the MCAT, I've considered self-studying physics throughout the next year if I plan on applying to medical school. I still need some kind of volunteer/shadow/clinical experience, though. I will have a full year of research done by October.

I plan on putting only so much time into attempting to get into medical school. Honestly, three years in graduate school is almost half-way to a Ph.D, which is why I want to economically use my time.

If you're wondering why I'm not fond of graduate school, it's because I think modern science is B.S.. There is a serious lack of experiment repeatability found in publication literature, and people in science are just out to publish to prevent themselves from perishing (professors really hate it when you maintain your sense of scientific skepticism including to the research you're doing). The reality of that has sunk in, and I've experienced what all of that means. And I really dislike the modern atmosphere of scientific research, despite me believing it has great power to change mankind and our knowledge of the universe.

Last edited:
The only hard part of physics is Electromagnetism. Kinematics and Fluids/Waves/Optics you can learn from books and online.