Medical Should I take Research Assistant vs Lab Technician job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently considering between a research assistant I position at a Children's Hospital and a lab technician position for my gap year (2 years). I have been told that Lab technician doesn't get as much autonomy and doesn't look as good to adcoms compared to research assistants. Both labs are in topics that I'm very interested in and I'm sure they can both offer me a great experience. I'm just not sure which one would be better purely from an adcom's perspective.

Please sprinkle any wisdom upon me, thanks!
What is your reason for taking these jobs? Can we know the rest of your app?

Members don't see this ad.

They're both in fields that I eventually want to go into, so I thought I would get some great initial exposure by working in those labs and build some connection. Since they both take place in hospitals, I thought that it would also give me clinical opportunities on the side and also be easier to find shadowing.

My stats are pretty typical. Decent GPA, haven't taken the MCAT yet, involved in research since Sophomore year but no publications, dabbled in several ECs with some leadership roles, around 150~ hours of clinical volunteering, and 100~ of non-clinical volunteering. Around 50 hours of shadowing. My problem is that nothing really stands out for me, but for my gap year I really would like to be involved in research and maybe get some publication to bolster my app, plus some more clinical and non-clinical volunteer work on the side, and hopefully ace the MCAT.
I had jobs in basic research labs during my gap years with both of those titles and two different institutions. The jobs, responsibilities, autonomy, etc, were identical. Different places will call the same position different things. And a RA or Lab Tech in one lab may be a completely different job than the exact same title in a different lab.

I don't think you need to get hung up on the title.

If one of the positions seems like it will offer you more autonomy or relevant experience, then choose that one, regardless of the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.