Medical Should I take research opportunity I'm really interested in, but worried about stretching myself too thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm planning on applying to medical school this upcoming cycle. I am very interested in working with underserved Latino populations in the future, and considering getting an MPH.

Recently, I was presented with the opportunity to work on a public heath research from my alma mater -- which is great since I don't have research experience and I've been wanting to learn the ropes! The research wants to study covid outbreaks in my state and its effects on our Latino population -- so this makes me even more excited since it's on a population that I really want to work with!

They would require 10 hours/week -- hours are flexible with days and times as long as I reach 10 hours weekly. My only concern is potentially spreading myself too thin.

I'm currently studying for the MCAT (target for April), working on my personal statement on the side, working part time as an EEG Tech at a psychiatric private practice, and volunteering 2-4 hours once a week.

I'm really torn between finally getting some research experience (in a topic I'm very interested in no less), and making sure I'm not stretching myself too thin to the detriment of my MCAT.

Would turning down this research opportunity to focus more on the MCAT be worth going into this cycle with no research? Or do you think it would be doable to add this research since the schedule for the research is flexible?

For reference my other EC's are the following:

Clinical:
-EEG Tech for outpatient psychiatric private practice (2000 hours by the time I apply) 2018-present:
Conduct EEG's, write up reports to send to the psychiatrist or neuro consult. I work very closely with the physician, since the practice is just him and myself.

-Spanish Medical Interpreter (~100 hours by the time I apply) 2019-present:
Student-run Interpreter club that offers free services to health fairs, hospitals etc. to interpret for patients -- I currently interpret at community health screenings in a low income Hispanic neighborhood.
Also did a bit of leadership as the language coach for the club -- taught the medical Spanish course for our new members.

Volunteering:
-SF General Hospital Health Advocate: (~100 hours by the time I apply) 2020-present:
Healthcare providers would refer us low income patients who are in need of resources (food, rent assistance etc.). We as health advocates pair these patients with resources to meet their needs -- often times walking them through the process since the vast majority of the patients I work with only speak Spanish. Not actually sure if this is clinical or not -- it used to be in person, but now its limited to calling patients due to COVID (for good reason).

-Founder and head coach of my local junior high track team (~200-300 hours) 2016-2017:
Started a track team for my old junior high, and was it's head coach for two seasons. Ran everything from trainings to organizing rides to meets (school district couldn't afford us bussing), organizing meets with the league.

Employment:
-Head Lifeguard/Lifeguard Instructor: (~3500 hours) 2015-2019:
I trained and certified all 70 lifeguards on staff, ran recreation swims overseeing 13 lifeguards and ~5-600 patrons in a shift. Ran and taught swim lessons. Was in charge of scheduling all 70 lifeguards. Dealt with a few medical emergencies over the years (many spinal injuries, anaphylactic shock, a heart attack)
As an l Lifeguard Instructor, taught Lifeguarding, first aid and CPR, emergency O2, and epi pen administration certification courses.

Research: none :(

Wow, this post ended up being longer than I planned, but thank you guys for taking the time to read and answer my question!
I would personally hold off on the research until you have taken the MCAT. Your MCAT is way more important than research for getting into medical school. The 10 hours per week you put into research, plus the time driving to and from the lab/place of research is all time you could have spent studying for the MCAT. I would continue you volunteering, working, and just focus on MCAT for now. After that is done, or even in medical school if possible, then you can jump into research.

Members don't see this ad.

So far I'm halfway through content review. I took a next step diagnostic and got 499 (123/124/127/125), and took Kaplan FL 1 this past weekend and got a 502 (124/125/128/125). From what I read, that's telling me I have a decent grasp on the content, but need more work on practice problems? Hoping to be complete with the content review in 2-3 weeks, then focus on Uworld for the second half of Feb and March, and then the AAMC material for the month leading up to my exam.
Good start. Average MCAT for matriculants into medical school are around 511-512, but you have a good amount of time to get there!

Status
Not open for further replies.