Should I take some pre-requisites at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedAname

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior doing dual enrollment with a community college. I know that I have a long way to go before I can apply to medical school but I need answers to my questions. I am in my 2nd semester of dual enrollment and when I graduate high school I will have 32 credits. I have a 4.0 right now but when I am finished this semester I may have a 3.9 gpa because I might get a B in U.S gov. I am a very hard working student I am very pissed that I might not get an A in a very easy class. Anyways, I took chem 1 my first semester and am taking chem 2 this semester. My question is, would anyone recommend I also take Bio 1 and Bio 2 at a community college instead of at a University. I talked to a couple of Universities and they said it is more competitive to take at a University. I studied hard for general chem 1 but I don't think I should take a pre-requisite course as my first course at a University and risk my GPA. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a high school senior doing dual enrollment with a community college. I know that I have a long way to go before I can apply to medical school but I need answers to my questions. I am in my 2nd semester of dual enrollment and when I graduate high school I will have 32 credits. I have a 4.0 right now but when I am finished this semester I may have a 3.9 gpa because I might get a B in U.S gov. I am a very hard working student I am very pissed that I might not get an A in a very easy class. Anyways, I took chem 1 my first semester and am taking chem 2 this semester. My question is, would anyone recommend I also take Bio 1 and Bio 2 at a community college instead of at a University. I talked to a couple of Universities and they said it is more competitive to take at a University. I studied hard for general chem 1 but I don't think I should take a pre-requisite course as my first course at a University and risk my GPA. What should I do?

If you have the ability (financially-able) to take your prereqs at a University, this is the more recommended course of action. Medical schools like to see most of your course work done at a 4-year university.

I applied to the University near me. If I don't get accepted right out of high school then I have to finish another year at the community college. Should I not take any science classes ?

Members don't see this ad :)
In your situation, I think it's okay to take bio 1 and 2. The reason for this is that you'll be going to a 4-year university where the grades there will reflect if your CC credits were just easy A's or not. Just complete Physics and O.Chem at the 4-year level since those are the ones considered "tough" by pre-med standards.

Thank you Triage for your answer. That is what I wanted to do but I just wasn't sure. I needed confirmation that it wasn't all that of a bad idea.

x

Last edited:
I've heard that most medical schools screen out applicants with any community college coursework unless they can demonstrate 'significant financial hardship.' Apparently, you'll have to provide your parents' pay stubs, dated and notarized, from the past seven years. If their income falls below a certain cut-off, your CC coursework will be accepted. In your case, you might have already ruined any chance you ever had at being a doctor.
LOL this is simply made up. It should be added to the "misinformed premeds" thread.

Or you could not take science classes and knock out all of your non major classes. up to you though.
On second thought, this sounds like better advice.