Medical Should I take Step 2 as DO student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student debating the merits of taking Step 2. Applying to a competitive specialty.

I was advised by someone who reviews residency applications in my specialty that my step 1 score won't hurt or help me and that the risk of step 2 is that it's more likely to hurt me.

Step 1: 230-235
Preclinical: Top 1/2
Rotations: All pass
Research:
-1 2nd author off specialty
-3 1st author case reports
-2 1st author and 1 2nd author under consideration
-2 posters, 2 podium talks
Letters: 3 known strong letters
-1 from specialty with physician who has known me for 5 years and offered to hire me after residency
-1 from research mentor with history of good reviews from residency directors
-1 from home IM assistant program director

Should I take Step 2?
This is hard to answer without knowing the specialty. What specialty are you applying to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Ophthalmology
Are you planning on applying to former ACGME or AOA programs? I am not sure how many previously-AOA programs got through the merger, but for ophthalmology, I would apply to all of them (I don't think there are too many previously-AOA programs that got through).

The person that you know that reviews residency apps...what is their position? PD? Faculty? Someone at your school? From just going through the process, what I gathered was that for competitive specialties, if you are applying to ACGME programs, you should have both Step 1 and Step 2. The reason is that they need to be able to compare you apples to apples with the other M.D. applicants. It isn't so much that your Step 1 HELPS you per se, it's that they want to compare you directly to the MD applicant (if that makes sense). If you don't take Step 2, I think you will decrease your chances at many ACGME interviews purely because you don't have a score on record (for example, I think it would be better to have a Step 2 of 230 on record than no score at all).

By only having a COMLEX 2, this won't hurt you as bad for former-AOA programs because they are familiar with the scoring, but you will be competing against mostly D.O. students.

Moral of the story: I would study my a** off and improve on Step 2 (which most students do anyways). That way you have the green light to apply to any program you want and aren't pigeon-holed into the limited number of D.O. programs.

MD program
Okay, I feel like my advice still holds but I would be interested to see what others have to say about this. This one person is n=1 and I would really check with many other programs to see if they "don't care if a DO applicant has a STEP 2 score when applying to their MD heavy ACGME program."

I would be really nervous about doing this.
I appreciate the input. The n=1 is my concern as well, which is why I posted here to see if any others could give an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.