Should I take the April MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt0751

Shocked at Acceptance
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking this question for a fellow student of mine.

He has a 4.0 through three years in the Honors College at our state school and had a 1400+ SAT (only mentioned to show that he is good at standardized tests). He is concerned that he will perform subpar if he takes the MCAT in April devoting only a little time to studying. He is contemplating studying in the summer and taking the August MCAT.
He wants to go to a state Med school, so I recomended taking the April MCAT and applying this summer so the schools go ahead and have his GPA and other stats already on file. If he performs badly he could retake in August.
Is it too big of a risk to take the MCAT and perform not so hot to be put in the running for the 2006 entry class?

MG

Members don't see this ad.

April MCAT, he'll probably be accepted before school starts.

Matt0751 said:

He has a 4.0 through three years in the Honors College at our state school and had a 1400+ SAT (only mentioned to show that he is good at standardized tests). He is concerned that he will perform subpar if he takes the MCAT in April devoting only a little time to studying. He is contemplating studying in the summer and taking the August MCAT.
He wants to go to a state Med school, so I recomended taking the April MCAT and applying this summer so the schools go ahead and have his GPA and other stats already on file. If he performs badly he could retake in August.
Is it too big of a risk to take the MCAT and perform not so hot to be put in the running for the 2006 entry class?

MG

Take a practice test and judge based on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matt0751 said:

MG

Is this UIC's Honors College? The medical school doesn't consider it an EC. Just FYI. Good luck with the MCATs too (that one was for you patzan!) :laugh:

Sorry, the school is University of South Carolina and schools USC School of Medicine and Mecial University of SC.

When should we go to the all alerts 24 hour study period???