1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I take the August 5th MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by lerm89, Jul 30, 2011.

1. lerm89

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took the MCAT on May 26th and got a 32Q (12PS, 8VR, 12BS). My AAMC average was 36 (13PS, 10VR, 13BS). Since I was upset with my low verbal, I registered for a retake (thinking the 8 was a fluke).

I just took TPR Diagnostic #3 (I took the TPR class so I have access) and got 13PS, 8VR, 13BS. I've done most of the online verbal TPR passages and averaged >75% (which should correspond to ~10?). I also retook some of the verbals on the AAMC exams and got 11-12, but that's probably not a good indication. (I redid the PS/BS sections too and got 14-15 the second time around).

So, what do you guys think? Is it possible that I'll improve on test day, or should I not even take the risk? I already submitted my primary app 3 weeks ago, btw.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. notbobtrustme

notbobtrustme Crux Terminatus
    Removed Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As far as I can tell, a 32 is a great score. Unless you are dead-set on going to a high tier school, I wouldn't risk it. If I got a 32 in August, I'd be super stoked.

4. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Obviously, if you're set of top tier schools, you can retake. Otherwise, if the rest of your application (GPA, ECs, LoRs) is strong, I would not retake.

5. lerm89

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How bad would it look if I don't improve or if I only improve 1-2 points? Since I already paid for the exam, I might as well take it and have it scored, right?