1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Should I take the August 5th MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by lerm89, Jul 30, 2011.

1. lerm89

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took the MCAT on May 26th and got a 32Q (12PS, 8VR, 12BS). My AAMC average was 36 (13PS, 10VR, 13BS). Since I was upset with my low verbal, I registered for a retake (thinking the 8 was a fluke).

I just took TPR Diagnostic #3 (I took the TPR class so I have access) and got 13PS, 8VR, 13BS. I've done most of the online verbal TPR passages and averaged >75% (which should correspond to ~10?). I also retook some of the verbals on the AAMC exams and got 11-12, but that's probably not a good indication. (I redid the PS/BS sections too and got 14-15 the second time around).

So, what do you guys think? Is it possible that I'll improve on test day, or should I not even take the risk? I already submitted my primary app 3 weeks ago, btw.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. notbobtrustme

notbobtrustme Crux Terminatus
    Removed Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As far as I can tell, a 32 is a great score. Unless you are dead-set on going to a high tier school, I wouldn't risk it. If I got a 32 in August, I'd be super stoked.

4. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Obviously, if you're set of top tier schools, you can retake. Otherwise, if the rest of your application (GPA, ECs, LoRs) is strong, I would not retake.

5. lerm89

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How bad would it look if I don't improve or if I only improve 1-2 points? Since I already paid for the exam, I might as well take it and have it scored, right?