Should I take the DAT again for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBP12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I still have not gotten into any dental schools this cycle so I'm starting to plan for next cycle. With my stats would you guys suggest that I take the DAT again?

3.82 GPA, 3.81 sGPA, 3.78 BCP
20 AA, 19 TS, 19 BIO, 20 GC, 21 OC, 22 PAT, 20 RC, 20 QR
100+ shadowing, 200+ volunteering, pre-dental club leadership

Also, what would you guys suggest I do with the year off I would have if I don't get in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say try to get a job in the dental world. I am in the same boat as you with what I should try and do as well.

I would say try to get a job in the dental world. I am in the same boat as you with what I should try and do as well.
hard to get a job in the dental world, especially as a male as far as being an assistant, and at the front desk with no real experience with that type of stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
hard to get a job in the dental world, especially as a male as far as being an assistant, and at the front desk with no real experience with that type of stuff
Try and contact your personal dentists/orthodontists and see if they know anyone looking for employees. Thats what I did and now I am an assistant at a orthodontic practice.

Are you still waiting to hear back from waitlists/interviews?

Definitely get clinical experience if you can.

No offense but those sound like excuses. Reach out to many different offices and you might be surprised.

Reactions: 1 user
If I can do it, so can you!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

I'm taking a gap year this application cycle and working the front desk at a growing dental practice in Austin. I had no experience but replied to a bunch of craigslist postings and found an amazing practice with amazing staff. I've learned so much about what it takes to manage a private practice as well as the interaction between insurance and patients/providers. This job experience has been the major talking point during my interviews and without it I would have been BSing about my ~100 shadowing hours.

Have you gotten any interviews this cycle?

Wow your GPAs are much better than mines. But you're DAT +/- is almost the same as mine. Personally, I don't think it's your numbers. I'd say I had bomb EC's and a personal statement (not trying to brag) and that helped me get interviews. If you wanna send me your PS and list of extracurriculars I could help you figure out what may be the problem and what ECs to do for next cycle and help you rewrite your PS. Hope to hear from you soon!

Edit: with your year off just go crazy doing extracurriculars. Don't just do shadowing, do smart and significant EC's.. that's why I said if you want to send me a list and hours you did for each EC I could give you an idea what kind to do next.

I have almost the same stat! I got multiple interview. The only thing that set me apart from you is EC. I have military and a MS degree. So improve on your EC?