Should I take the DAT with these scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the first topscore test. here's what I got:

Bio: 18
GenChem: 18
OChem: 18
PAT: 21
RC: 17
QR: 22

I know they are not good scores. I went over DAT destroyer 3 times. So I am a little bit confident on the material that destroyer covers.

I have the Crack DAT as well and I am doing horrible on the science section (I know the science section isn't a good representation of the actual DAT). But on the PAT part of Crack DAT, I average about 22.5. and the QR is about 21.

I have the DAT on Feb 21st. Should I postpone it?
I would also be happy to hear your advice too...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can still keep the same exam date, its 10 days away. Your scores aren't horrible, and you can definitely do better. Find out what sections you're missing questions on, and then review your notes on those sections. It isn't useful to go over destroyer anymore after 3 times, going through it again would just be a test of memorizing answers. Just take a practice exam every day up until 3 days before the exam, and take the 2007 exam and then the 2009 exam. See what you score then on those tests. If it's still in the 18 range, you have to evaluate if you think you can do better if you have some extra time, or if you should go for it and try to score high.

There are many people who do 18~19 on Topscore and then break into the 20's on the real DAT. But, there are also those who go to 17~18. You'll know your abilities as you get closer to the test. You'll know you are ready when you are more nervous/excited to get this over with than being scared of bombing it.

Push hard these 10 days, you're almost done!!

You can still keep the same exam date, its 10 days away. Your scores aren't horrible, and you can definitely do better. Find out what sections you're missing questions on, and then review your notes on those sections. It isn't useful to go over destroyer anymore after 3 times, going through it again would just be a test of memorizing answers. Just take a practice exam every day up until 3 days before the exam, and take the 2007 exam and then the 2009 exam. See what you score then on those tests. If it's still in the 18 range, you have to evaluate if you think you can do better if you have some extra time, or if you should go for it and try to score high.

There are many people who do 18~19 on Topscore and then break into the 20's on the real DAT. But, there are also those who go to 17~18. You'll know your abilities as you get closer to the test. You'll know you are ready when you are more nervous/excited to get this over with than being scared of bombing it.

Push hard these 10 days, you're almost done!!

Thanks. Well, I keep on studying for now. I will see how I do as I get closer to the date.
Thanks again

Just took the first topscore test. here's what I got:

Bio: 18
GenChem: 18
OChem: 18
PAT: 21
RC: 17
QR: 22

I know they are not good scores. I went over DAT destroyer 3 times. So I am a little bit confident on the material that destroyer covers.

I have the Crack DAT as well and I am doing horrible on the science section (I know the science section isn't a good representation of the actual DAT). But on the PAT part of Crack DAT, I average about 22.5. and the QR is about 21.

I have the DAT on Feb 21st. Should I postpone it?
I would also be happy to hear your advice too...
Thanks

After some preparation give 2009 DAT. Those are good representation of scores in almost all sections. Do it as if you are in real test environment. You might want to practice some RC.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
After some preparation give 2009 DAT. Those are good representation of scores in almost all sections. Do it as if you are in real test environment. You might want to practice some RC.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

ok will do that.
I have the qvault reading comprehension section and I am taking test a day. I know I cannot do well in the RC section

Qvault RC is not a good time... I hated those few hours I devoted to it. Hope the actual RC has something more... stimulating.

what do you mean by saying "Qvault RC is not a good time?"
what did you not like about it?

what do you mean by saying "Qvault RC is not a good time?"
what did you not like about it?

Hah, just that I didn't like it. I haven't tried RC from any other company, so I have nothing else to compare it to (except SAT/ACT days, I suppose). But the articles were dreadfully boring and extremely conducive to "search and destroy".

Yeah I'd advise against qvault RC. I didn't use it, but people say good things about crack dat reading, maybe try that out? On the real test, you'll get 3 science articles, but they aren't dense and are easy reads that are broken down into paragraphs. You'll have 15-17 questions per passage. About 10-12 of those will be search and destroy, but you won't find the answer directly word for word in the passage like qvault RC, it may be reworded. The other 5-7 questions will be tone and inference based. Try out different strategies in your practice and see what works. Personally, I don't like working under stress, so I just took my time and read the whole passage before I started answering questions. I knew where to look for the search and destroy questions, and could answer the inference problems.

And the score you get on the 2009 exam will be the most predicative of your actual scores. Take it the day before the deadline to reschedule your exam and see how you do.

Yeah I'd advise against qvault RC. I didn't use it, but people say good things about crack dat reading, maybe try that out? On the real test, you'll get 3 science articles, but they aren't dense and are easy reads that are broken down into paragraphs. You'll have 15-17 questions per passage. About 10-12 of those will be search and destroy, but you won't find the answer directly word for word in the passage like qvault RC, it may be reworded. The other 5-7 questions will be tone and inference based. Try out different strategies in your practice and see what works. Personally, I don't like working under stress, so I just took my time and read the whole passage before I started answering questions. I knew where to look for the search and destroy questions, and could answer the inference problems.

And the score you get on the 2009 exam will be the most predicative of your actual scores. Take it the day before the deadline to reschedule your exam and see how you do.

Yeah, I have Crack DAT reading too. Almost all of the questions are tone and inference based questions on Crack DAT reading. I do horrible on those as well. :(:mad:

Just took the second topscore test today
Bio 18
GenChem 17
Ochem 23
PAT 23
RC 18
QR 22

I don't know man!
I will definitely take the 09 exam like 4-5 days before my DAT date.