Should I take the EMT-B certification exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPhD22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am currently finishing up an EMT-Basic course that I took just for something to do before medical school this fall. I was wondering if I should take the state licensing exam after this class. I doesn't seem possible to work as an EMT during med school, can any medical students who were certified before medical school comment? Does anyone know if there are any advantages to having this certification? I would appreciate any comments, Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I took the class several years ago so policy may have changed.

If you're already accepted into medical school I wouldn't take it. Its not cheap and won't give you very many advantages unless you're thinking of working (which you're not) or MAYBE volunteering but even that is not always possible. I took an EMT course as well as the national exam, and in addition to taking the National Registry you also have to take your state/county exam to do anything within your county. I was told that the NREMT certification is useless without your county cert "because youre not technically an EMt without your county certification and specific scope of practice" and the county exam for me ran $60 or $70 and in addition if you want to keep your licensing whether in county or nationally you have to work in the field and have someone sign off on your skills over the course of two years, but unless you're working in the field you cannot get signed off. You might be able to do rideouts with the FD but the chances of you getting calls where you do all your skills is slim. You also need specific EMTB continuing education credits (classes) and have to take a recert course every two years if you don't get your skills checked off (or CEs can't remember) I also had a deadline for how long before I could no longer take the exam to get registered in my county.

Not to be a downer I promise, but if you're not working in the field it's a pain to keep your certification and you are going to be really busy with medical school.

Or you can always do what I did which is take the National Registry, they will send you a nice patch and card saying you're Nationally Registered (different from being able to work in a certain county, remember that) and then move on with your cool souvenirs :)

PS I'm NOT a medical student but felt as if I could share some insight

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,
I am currently finishing up an EMT-Basic course that I took just for something to do before medical school this fall. I was wondering if I should take the state licensing exam after this class. I doesn't seem possible to work as an EMT during med school, can any medical students who were certified before medical school comment? Does anyone know if there are any advantages to having this certification? I would appreciate any comments, Thanks.
I know among the EMS world, students who take the EMT course for med school then skip out on finishing the class and taking the test are frowned upon.
Plus, it gives you experience with computer based testing along with doing practical skills on mock patients and it isn't that hard.

Last edited:
None as far as I'm aware I have been an EMT for about 2 years and and starting med school in aug. I have worked with a ton of other EMTs that went to med school already and they all told me not to worry about recertifying before med school starts. the only use would be if you want to use if before med school starts. I do know some schools even have clauses that say you cant work while classes are in session.

why wouldnt it be possible to work as an EMT during med school 10-20 hours a week so you're not using loan money for living expenses?

I could always do a lot more effective studying on a Saturday if I knew I had to go to work 5-11pm than if I just had absolutely nothing to do all weekend because then you really use the ~6-8 hours or so that you have effectively rather than daydreaming as a result of the illusion that you have a lot of time on your hands. I don't see why Med School would be different.

In my experience, I have used my EMT in prehospital and as an ED tech. If you can gain some experience with clinical hours before school that might be useful.

If you are starting medical school in the fall I would think you would want to take the time to appreciate the calm before the storm and not work so much.

As for myself, I wont be applying until next year and I just finished paramedic school. I will take my National Test so I can continue to volunteer at the med tents for triathlons and marathons.

As for the EMT test, isn't it around a $100?

why wouldnt it be possible to work as an EMT during med school 10-20 hours a week so you're not using loan money for living expenses?

I could always do a lot more effective studying on a Saturday if I knew I had to go to work 5-11pm than if I just had absolutely nothing to do all weekend because then you really use the ~6-8 hours or so that you have effectively rather than daydreaming as a result of the illusion that you have a lot of time on your hands. I don't see why Med School would be different.
Don't EMT-Bs make something like $20K annually? So 5-10K for working 10-20 hrs/wk sounds like a waste of time versus possibly getting better grades, accolades, into a legit residency program. However, I know a select few schools actually have the EMT-B course built into the first few weeks (USC SOM-Greenville for instance), which may or may not exempt you depending on where you're going. Depending on the length of your stints between MS-1/2 and MS-2/3, waiting till then might be the better route. All the best in your decision though. Good luck this upcoming year.

Don't EMT-Bs make something like $20K annually? So 5-10K for working 10-20 hrs/wk sounds like a waste of time versus possibly getting better grades, accolades, into a legit residency program.

I tend to agree with this. Personally, I would hold off on the examination until you start medical school. If, after a few months of MS1, you think you could handle working PT, then sign up and take the exam. Regardless, congrats into getting into medical school.