Should I Take The Jan 2010 PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreStylez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still contemplating whether I should take the January 2010 PCAT because I am going to apply before December of 2010 for the Fall 2011 pharmacy school year. If I don't take it in January then it leaves me with the one in June and August, but I want to take it at least 3 times! This semester is crazy for me because I'm taking Organic Chemistry I, Anatomy & Physiology I, Physics I, and a humanities class so I might have 5 hours each week to study and the whole winter break to do so. I have taken Chem I & II, Biology I & II, Speech, Eng I & II, Pre Calc, & Calc I. I already have all my study materials which includes the Kaplan PCAT Reviewer, MCAT Audio Osmosis, and all the MCAT ExamKracker reviewers (Physics, Gen Chem, Org Chem, Bio, Math, and Verbal reasoning). Do you guys believe that 5 hours each week and the whole winter break will be enough time to study for the January PCAT?

Thanks for all the help,

Dre

Sorry, that it was kind of long.

Members don't see this ad.

Three times!!!! I wouldn't do that unless you did really badly on the first two. Personaly I would take it in June when you have even more prereqs under your belt and a decent stretch of time to study for it between the end of classes and the test. Then if you don't do as well as you would like you have the August PCAT or December PCAT as a back up. The January PCAT of 2011 would also be available as a last ditch effort only if you completely bomb the first two tries. It would be late but still could be early enough for schools to take into consideration.

If you plan on starting school in 2011, then you can take all the tests in 2010 (January, June, August, and October) and they will be acceptable for admission. However, I'll strongly suggest you complete this semester and prepare enough before taking your first test. This is because some schools don't pick your better/best PCAT score. They average them. If you know the school you want to go to, you may want to find out their policy with regards to multiple PCAT scores. Also, there is no Physics on the PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im only going to be a junior this year and i just took the august pcat..I only had one biology class and no anat and phys but i studied for a month and felt pretty prepared i guess we'll see though lol

I'm also in a similar situation. I'm applying to Pitt, UB, and Fisher. I received a 58 composite in October but upped to a 73 composite in January, so I'll be fine for Pitt. UB averages the composite and section scores if you take the exam more than 2 times, so if I get another 15 point increase in my composite score to a 88, they still would take averages of all past composites and sections. Fisher takes the best score from each PCAT you take. The only section I earned a low percentile was biology. Would it be worth my $182, knowing that my Jan score is good for Pitt and I can't really change my score at UB, to take the PCAT just to bump up my biology stats for one school's sake?

Hey guys, took my pcat in august and totally bombed it, finishing up my last semester and planning on taking the PCAT in January 2010. Question is, im planning on applying in october in the hopes of getting in in the fall of 2010. Is January 2010 pcat too late to make a difference? Would it be too late for 2010? :scared:

it depend on universities. Many universities accept January PCAT.
I just gave my first attempt of PCAT on 23th January. Honestly, i didnt find the questions very hard..but the time was very less. I found it more of an aptitude test than academic test

Hi Everyone!

I am selling the full Kaplan course materials for the pcat including all the practice exams!
Please check it out! I listed it on the selling blog or you can just click on my profile and go to all my posts to see more details about the Kaplan package I have!